Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead Man Walking - A unique horror platformer  (Read 23453 times)

Blocks

• New User
  • Horror... in a platformer.
    • View Profile
Dead Man Walking - A unique horror platformer
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:05:56 »

Sorry, everyone, but as you may have already guessed, this project has been scrapped. I think it was more of a way to prove to myself what I can achieve in Game Maker, so I can gauge how advanced I am and know how far to go when making games.

Thank you for all the replies and music, though. I'm surprised by the amount of talent around here. I really appreciate it. I'm already working on a project at the moment (a horror platformer). I'm definitely going to finish this one, since the deadline's March 1st (it's for a competition).

So, mosey on down to the topic I'm about to make regarding the game and get your spooky music game on!

Hi everybody.

Again, I'm very sorry for wasting your time, but in the process I have learned how talented and nice you guys are. So, here I am with another music request, this time for a game that will actually get finished (see above).

It's a horror platformer, as I said. It's not something many people have tried so I thought I'd give it a shot, confident in my ability to spook people out. I'm not going for the jump-scare approach, I'm going for the spooky, psychological approach, with darkness and shadows galore.

Here's a screenshot from the testing engine so you can get an idea of what I mean:

When played in full-screen with a black background, the sprites are much easier to see. (By the way, do you think the player looks good in monotone, or should I give him colours? If I give him colours, they will be of very low saturation...)

Because it's a spooky game, I'm not going to be using masses of loud, fast-paced music. However, I thought that a chippy sound would be cool and would add to the game's uniqueness.

Anything creepy would work. The main things I need are a title screen track, a death (aka game over) track and a few different in-game stage tracks (not too many, though). I'm guessing that fairly quiet and slow would work well here.

However, I am also looking for some sort of chip equivalent of orchestral hits, if you know what they are. The sort of loud sounds that hit just once when you discover something unnerving or freaky. But, again, not too loud. I don't want to make the player jump too much. Just to add to the atmosphere.

Thank you in advance. I hope I can get enough tracks before the deadline (March 1st, see above quote). Don't rush yourself, though!

~ Blocks
email: fender.jazz@yahoo.co.uk
hotmail: pot.noodles@hotmail.co.uk (Please do not e-mail me here, I do not check this inbox.)

PS: Don't worry, I'll credit everyone fully, even if you only make a single track or sound.
Dead Man Walking
The unique platformer horror game! Contribute now!

Run Away!
The platformer game made in 4 hours! Contribute now!

Chippy

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Man Walking - A unique horror platformer
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 13:12:26 »

[link deleted ]
Title-screen, e-mail: emu.chippy@gmail.com
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 13:36:41 by Chippy »

Blocks

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 13:20:03 »

Thanks for the quick response! That's an excellent track, I'll definitely use it as title music!
Dead Man Walking

Run Away!

Chippy

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 14:29:47 »

[links deleted]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 18:25:56 by Chippy »

Blocks

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 17:19:05 »

Wow, you are fast at your work! The first song is great, could be good for a short loop, such as a game over track. The second is also very good, gives a very old-school feel.

However, to be honest, the first track is more suiting for constant-running background music, since it's a short, spooky loop that doesn't take too much attention away from the player. So, I think I'll use that first track as the main in-game level track, if you don't mind! I'm sure I can find a use for the second. In fact, the second sounds more like a title track than the title track you already made... >_<

That's what I'll do. I'll use your title track as boss music or fast-paced level music, the first of your two tracks above for general levels and the second for the title screen.

Sorted. :D

PS: Only if you're happy with that arrangement, that is. :)
Dead Man Walking

Run Away!

Chippy

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 18:24:02 »

Ok, do what you want, i only make for you modules ;) Tommorow i upload more tracks.

Blocks

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 18:55:35 »

Okay! I look forward to the new tracks! ;)
Dead Man Walking

Run Away!

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 19:18:11 »

Chippy, I wonder why you delete all the links. If you want that nobody else can see them, why don't you just write a pm to Blocks?
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Chippy

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 19:27:51 »

I has not thought about it :) Now tunes they will be sended on PM.

MatrixMaster3

• Rising Star
    • View Profile
    • MatriM3's Songs
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 22:13:14 »

Could you give me a sample video of what you're looking for with the vibe, or maybe PM a sample of Chippy's music? I want to help, I just don't know what you're looking for specifically.
Check out my music here: MatriM3's Songs
My twitter: here
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up