Community > Project / Coder's Corner

[Discussion] New module format - openModplug

<< < (3/10) > >>

pailes:
Hopefully they come up with this new file format. So no more crippled/non-standard/incompatible IT/XM/MOD style modules made with ModPlug please.

Saga Musix:
by the way, i've never understood why modplug is always the "bad guy" in the scene. i mean, it does the same to IT format Impulse Tracker did to S3M, what many other trackers did to the original MOD format (including Fast Tracker)...

pailes:

--- Quote from: "Jojo" ---by the way, i've never understood why modplug is always the "bad guy" in the scene. i mean, it does the same to IT format Impulse Tracker did to S3M, what many other trackers did to the original MOD format (including Fast Tracker)...
--- End quote ---

That is only partly true. Both Fasttracker and Impulse Tracker invent new file formats to store their proprietary extensions. They do not alter the original file formats to be able to store information that hasn't been intented, like ModPlug does.

You can read about it here:
http://dumb.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=docs&doc=modplug

And that's only a little example how ModPlug tries to "enhance" the IT format. It also allows for incompatible XM modules having stereo samples, more than 32 channels etc. which FT2 can no longer read.
Besides that, ModPlug tracker makes no attempt at identifying itself as *the* tracker of creation, it writes "FastTracker 2" into the XM header, making it very difficult to detect whether the file has been saved with ModPlug.

Saga Musix:
Don't forgot that there is a so-called "compatiblity export" in OpenModplug - it generates IT files that are fully compatible to Impulse Tracker (currently not, that is. i just spotted an error in the function that inserted a wrong IT version, so impulse tracker was not able to open the file)...
geee, i hate it to argue about this stuff with "oldsk00lers"...

pailes:

--- Quote from: "Jojo" ---Don't forgot that there is a so-called "compatiblity export" in OpenModplug - it generates IT files that are fully compatible to Impulse Tracker (currently not, that is. i just spotted an error in the function that inserted a wrong IT version, so impulse tracker was not able to open the file)...
geee, i hate it to argue about this stuff with "oldsk00lers"...
--- End quote ---

Actually there is no arguing at all. Olivier definitely did this wrong. It would have been so easy to create a new file format right from the start. Composers happily created incompatible modules because they weren't aware of this fact and now we have plenty of replaying issues.
And yeah "Compatiblity export" sounds nice, but only people aware of the problems will use it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version