Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi ~ First time Tracking!  (Read 7835 times)

sajt

• New User
    • View Profile
Hi ~ First time Tracking!
« on: January 23, 2008, 15:16:07 »

Heya, gave a go at milky last night and I was surprised how easy it was to use (although I doubt that I've even mastered 40% of it). Was kinda boored and decided to make a theme song for my beloved draenei (WoW geek I know, don't hate me)  ~ not finished, still alot more to do and I'm learning as I'm working on it.

Hope you like it so far though! - Not sure why but for some reason certain notes sound differently when played as a .xt file in winamp instead of in the tracker (.wav works fine) so I recommend playing it in milkytracker instead.

http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman01/Ipos - Draedventures WIP (08-01-23).xm

- Tell me what you think!

Deltafire

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
Re: Hi ~ First time Tracking!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 18:43:10 »

At first I thought it sounded quite random, but after listening to it again I can actually make out a tune.  I think you should loose the sine-wave samples though, they sound rubbish ;)

Anyway, keep at it - first tunes aren't usually anything to be proud of, but you'll get the hang of things soon enough!

pailes

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 18:59:47 »

Not sure why but for some reason certain notes sound differently when played as a .xt file in winamp instead of in the tracker
Because winamp sucks for module replay ;)

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 01:18:19 »

Heard much worse first tunes, keep it up. If you want an accurate player, check out XMPlay.

sajt

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 05:24:02 »

Xmplayer worked better but still not what it sounds like in the tracker, there's a weird clicking noice and some notes are off... Ah well, doesn't really matter.

- Does anyone know of where I could get ahold of more instruments? That'd be very much appriciated!

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 17:28:53 »

Have a look at the general Tracking board, several threads about samples there.

edit: About the playback issues, the first half is solved: XMPlay defaults to higher quality mixer settings than those of the original Fasttracker II and MilkyTracker, therefore you need to go to Options and stuff (right-click the main player window or press F9), then go to MOD and set Ramping from sensitive to normal. And while there, also change Interpolation from sinc to linear. That'll give you the overall same sound in both programs.

The off-tune notes (I take you mean in some of the 0xx arpeggios) are caused by playing the pretty long chip sample loop (189 bytes), basically a low sample, so high it's banging some of the original mixer limits and the tracked D#5 04 049 for example isn't what you actually get. It sounding about right in MilkyTracker is in fact a playback inaccuracy that will most likely be fixed which in turn will make your notes sound off in Milky as well. So, the module would also need a little fixing but maybe it's not important as it's your first one and you don't want to get stuck in it. :) Thanks for unearthing the issue though. :)

I attached your module rendered from Fasttracker II, the way it technically should sound.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 18:51:43 by raina »

sajt

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 21:50:36 »

Wow, thanks - that's really helpful! Oh, so much more to do and experiment with, must say this is very interesting. Browsing through the forums and looking at other people's work does wonders. Hope to bring you something better in the near future once I'm on more firm ground.

- Thanks again for the help and for taking the time explaining it to me, sticking with milky to begin with since it's so user friendly. Once I've gotten the hang of that I'll play around with some of the other trackers aswell...

Pages: [1]   Go Up