Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oliwerko - introducing myself  (Read 6754 times)

Oliwerko

• In Construction
    • View Profile
Oliwerko - introducing myself
« on: February 07, 2008, 16:15:42 »

Hi there!

I am totally new to tracking (hence, I'm 17!  ;D) and I just discovered this small but powerful group of traker artists.

I am from Slovakia and currently spending all my free time trying to figure out what to do to learn tracking.  8) I am amazed of how good music you guys can make and also astonished how powerful the tracker software is.

I have some lame beginner questions to ask, so I'll do it here (I am not lazy to look for FAQs and tutorials, but you have much more experience than I have and there are not much of tutorials available):

1.What tracker do you recommend for me as a beginner? Milky impressed me, but I am open for suggestions.
2. How do you make own samples? I know it isnt easy but I read here and there that people do their own samples but I just dont get how they are made? What do I need?
Where can I learn more?

See you around!
I'm not afraid of death.
I'm afraid of murder.

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
Re: Oliwerko - introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 13:02:53 »

Hi :) Welcome to the forums, and to tracking, i guess :)

Your questions are answered around the forums in various places but essentially for a quick compact answer:

1) It depends on your views of using the interfaces. Most of the trackers output exactly the same formats and have the same effects. OpenMPT is Windows based as is Milkytracker but OpenMPT has more in the sense it provides support for plugins (VSTs). Milkytracker on the other hand is oldskool, a modern clone of the classic Fast Tracker 2 DOS programme. Both have their strenghts, and there are other trackers out there too. i.e Renoise (not a standard format tracker though), MadTracker (same again). I dare say someone else may chip in with more.

2) There is a thread in the sampling forum about this, please check there :)
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

barryvan

• I can't decide if you're adorable or creepy.
    • View Profile
    • barryvan
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 15:52:23 »

Hello!

Well, to answer your first question, and, as m0d says, "chip in" :D I'd recommend OpenMPT. I've been using it for many years now, and I've found it really fast and intuitive. If you're completely new to tracking, it's a good start, because of it's traditional Windows interface. Check out the Modplug Forums for more info, and to ask specific questions about it. :D There are a couple of people from here who are also over there. In fact, once you start to know people, you'll run into them all over the "scene" websites. :)

Oh, and as m0d says, you'll want to check the other forums for more info on making samples. (But if you just want instrumental sounds, try downloading some free VSTs and sticking them into OpenMPT - it's one of the easiest ways.)

All the best!
www.barryvan.com.au - design & music

the barryvan compo - Bimonthly inspiration-based compo

barryvan  @ Last.fm

Oliwerko

• In Construction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 17:12:13 »

Hi guys,

thanks for pointers, I am starting to understand all these things.
I wonder how good is OpenMPT in comparison to Renoise. I am currently a bit indecisive between these two...
I'm not afraid of death.
I'm afraid of murder.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 20:10:24 »

Renoise is IMHO quite advanced stuff, so if you are new to the whole tracking scene, you'll probably want to try one of the more "classic" trackers (e.g. OpenMPT) instead of Renoise first... ;)
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Oliwerko

• In Construction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 22:44:22 »

So they are basically all more or less the same and the only important thing is the difference between "modern" and "old school" ones and VST support?
I'm not afraid of death.
I'm afraid of murder.

barryvan

• I can't decide if you're adorable or creepy.
    • View Profile
    • barryvan
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 03:11:38 »

Sort of... :D That being said, don't assume that Renoise is "better" than OpenMPT - they are both just different responses to the same thing. If they're used professionally, you won't be able to tell them apart, or tell OpenMPT frame FLStudio, or Renoise from Cubase. It's all in getting to know your tracker, its limitations, features, and quirks. :)
www.barryvan.com.au - design & music

the barryvan compo - Bimonthly inspiration-based compo

barryvan  @ Last.fm
Pages: [1]   Go Up