Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Someone converted one of my tracks to mp3 and uploaded it!  (Read 8614 times)

jobro

• New User
    • View Profile
Someone converted one of my tracks to mp3 and uploaded it!
« on: February 08, 2008, 17:20:24 »

Recently I was searching on Google for an article I wrote a while back when I suddenly noticed one of my tracked tracks where converted to mp3 and uploaded to yourfilehost.com. Here is the link.

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=audio&file=211___johan_brodd___forever_blue____www.Mp3Web.org_.mp3

The problem is that I haven't given any written nore outspoken permissions to do this. I've reported the track abuse to the admin, but nothing has happened so far.

So this goes out to you who uploaded this track. Remove it as soon as you see this. The track is copyrighted and registered to STIM in Sweden (similar as RIAA in the USA). I'm going to go further if this track is NOT REMOVED!

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
Re: Someone converted one of my tracks to mp3 and uploaded it!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 20:31:16 »

Hi Jobro

Can you explain who you are aiming your post at? Is The Mod Archive? or is it at the person who made the MP3? As this post is actually "threatening" (which you are within your rights but only at the appropriate places, not here) I need to know how TMA is involved.

I have found the file on TMA but it has been in the public domain for over 9 years now (check ftp.modland.com)  That does not mean you don't have copyright but it does mean that you cannot unspread it. But you should be concerned about people distributing an MP3 - that's not how you released it therefore it is something which those people at yourhosting.com should take care of.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 20:36:51 by m0d »
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 23:25:52 »

Also, I know cases when people are not able to play modules on their computer or if someone is not able to find a working link for the module version, so he uploads an mp3 copy of it (which is nothing wrong IMHO). of course, those people should not spread these files...
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

jobro

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 00:10:27 »

I'm not aiming at modarchive. I'm aiming at the person who downloaded the song either from here or from another place where I have my modules uploaded to. No harm directed at ModArchive. All harm directed at the user who took the liberty to convert the song to mp3 and uploaded it to yourfilehost.com.

m0d

• Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 03:01:24 »

Hi Jobro, I totally understand. I've been a victim of this sort of thing as well, although it goes more along the lines of my mp3s which are freely downloadable being sold on a Russian website under the false statement that all artist on their site get royalties. Well, i don't and it's stupid that they are duping people into buying something which is already "freely" available.

I hope you get to the bottom of your problem. :(
💬 Modarchive Discord

kingjeste

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 09:09:26 »

Wow.. freakin out.. I think you should be happy that some would take the time to spread your music.. I know i would be if someone coverted my mods to mp3's. more power to them.. it's not like they took you work an remixed then coverted to mp3 and said this my work. Then i would have an problem..

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 18:59:17 »

kingjeste, you seem to be rather inexperienced and probably a newbie to tracking, too. In the beginning, everyone is more or less open-minded and appreciates it if someone likes you and gives you feedback and all that stuff. But especially lateron, you'll recognize what stealing (in timbaland's case) music or redistributing it without permission (this case) really means to the composer.
» My TMA artist profile
» Open ModPlug Tracker

kingjeste

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 21:19:03 »

IT's Soap Box Time!!!

Hey, dude. i've been tracking for about 10yrs now.. quit, cuz i thought mod scene was dead atleast around where i am.. I see thing different than others do.. IMOP.. I don't mind someone taking my mod remixing.. as long as they give me credit in some way of form.. and i've collecting mods for over 10yrs.. Well, IMOP.. What think wont matter anyways.. its just my 2cents worth..If someone don't like what i have to say. then dont' listen/read what i have to say.. The world is not coming to end.. in 10 or 20 yrs this matter will be meanAless.. as no one will care what john doe did 10/20 yrs go to jane doe..

I now step down from my soap time.. untill next time..

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 21:24:21 »

I don't mind someone taking my mod remixing.. as long as they give me credit in some way of form..
see, and that's what did not happen in these cases.
» My TMA artist profile
» Open ModPlug Tracker

m0d

• Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 11:00:15 »

kingjeste, you seem to be rather inexperienced and probably a newbie to tracking, too.

It's not wise to jump on assumptions as you've just found out.

IT's Soap Box Time!!!
I don't mind someone taking my mod remixing.. as long as they give me credit in some way of form.......

Now, I'm unaware of whom you are responding to with regards to your "freaking out" posts on this thread. So I will just point out a few things for clarification.

In the case of Jobro's, sure, in my opinion it's not too much of a problem because his track is quite simply a reproduction distributed freely in a different format, it is still unpleasant for the artist of course, and is against the license terms under which Jobro released it.

However since I am unaware if you were also putting my case under the same wing with your comments regarding "freaking out", I would like to clarify a few things.

If someone is making money off your work, and you haven't given permission nor are receiving royalties, wouldn't you have a problem? I certainly have a problem with that and I would find it hard to believe you wouldn't if it was your material making a Russian criminal money. This is what is happening with my music.

In a slightly different way, this is also what has happened in the Timbaland case, although on a much much greater scale since the music had been plagiarized and then used to earn money, and a hell of a lot of money.

I hope you enjoyed your time on your soap box. You are welcome to voice your opinions, and I hope I have clarified some of the assumptions that have been made in these recent posts.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 11:07:46 by m0d »
💬 Modarchive Discord
Pages: [1]   Go Up