Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Piano Roll Editors (aka Dots on a screen)  (Read 10388 times)

drspa44

• New User
    • View Profile
    • The Game Music Labyrinth
Piano Roll Editors (aka Dots on a screen)
« on: February 19, 2008, 18:21:21 »

The tracker I use at the moment is a big fan of the piano roll editor (see pic). However, the app, PlayerPRO is no longer being developed and crashes frequently. I was wandering if there were any good trackers and/or midi sequencers using this type of editor for Mac OSX. Midigraphy ( http://www.lcv.ne.jp/~hirox/image/MIDI/MIDIgraphy1.jpg ) was also quite good, but again, it doesn't work on OSX. I asked this on yahoo answers and the only answer I got was someone saying iTunes or try google!

Just a thought... Apple should consider developing Quicktime and iTunes to accept mod files... Would this development be impossible or just a waste of time?

barryvan

• I can't decide if you're adorable or creepy.
    • View Profile
    • barryvan
Re: Piano Roll Editors (aka Dots on a screen)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 11:27:33 »

Just a thought... Apple should consider developing Quicktime and iTunes to accept mod files... Would this development be impossible or just a waste of time?

Not gonna happen. :)

Re: trackers, your best bet would probably be to set up some sort of dual-boot system, 'cos as far as I know, there's very little development happening for Mac, but lots for Linux and Windows. :)
www.barryvan.com.au - design & music

the barryvan compo - Bimonthly inspiration-based compo

barryvan  @ Last.fm

pailes

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 13:06:32 »

Apple?? Haha... No way, but it would be actually possible to write a Quicktime Plugin which accepts modules.

Btw. PlayerPRO went open source on sourceforge quite some time ago, but actually nobody seems to care about it.
It would be possible to write a piano roll pattern editor for MilkyTracker though.

Re: trackers, your best bet would probably be to set up some sort of dual-boot system, 'cos as far as I know, there's very little development happening for Mac, but lots for Linux and Windows. :)

I'm not sure whether you are referring to Trackers or just software development in general but there is a lot of development going on for OSX and since OSX is fully POSIX and UNIX compliant you can easily make any linux application run on OSX too without any porting effort and people are doing this quite frequently:
http://www.macports.org/
http://www.finkproject.org/

In addition there is a lot of OSX professional applications that is neither available for windows nor linux (especially for music/audio/video production).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 13:08:27 by pailes »

phate

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 07:16:24 »

I believe that Renoise just added an optional pianoroll.
Pages: [1]   Go Up