Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac OS X and Insert  (Read 5367 times)

elcalen

• New User
    • View Profile
Mac OS X and Insert
« on: March 18, 2008, 00:21:29 »

Hi,

I've just been taking my first look at MilkyTracker, and it seems like an interesting option for tracking on the Mac.

The one issue I've noticed so far is the Insert key. I found the option to use Ctrl+Up for Insert. However, this clashes with Leopard, which uses Ctrl + directional keys for changing spaces. Of course it's possible to change this shortcut, but Ctrl + directional keys is by far the most convenient. And, frankly, Ctrl+Up seems like an odd choice to replace Ins in the first place.

If there's no quick fix for this, I hope a future release will provide another option to use... (More keyboard configurability in general would be nice, of course.)

Alas, the keyboard differences always seem to the biggest problem (from a user perspective) when porting trackers to Mac...

pailes

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
Re: Mac OS X and Insert
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 20:00:12 »

And, frankly, Ctrl+Up seems like an odd choice to replace Ins in the first place.

Funny though, the guy I did this fix for found it to be a good choice 8)

elcalen

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 21:01:12 »

And, frankly, Ctrl+Up seems like an odd choice to replace Ins in the first place.

Funny though, the guy I did this fix for found it to be a good choice 8)

Well, to be honest, I have no idea what would be the best keystroke for the purpose... One's as good as another as long as there aren't clashes. A single key would seem most intuitive. There are probably some still available (I apparently get a note off from both 1 and the key next to left shift, for instance). I'm on a Finnish keyboard, though, so I'm not 100% sure how all my keys correspond to generic Mac keyboards.

Of course, Spaces didn't exist in OS X until Leopard was released last autumn, so before that Ctrl+arrows wouldn't have been used by the system...

pailes

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 21:34:41 »

I will try to put in more options. I'm also not using leopard right now so I wasn't aware of that. There are already plenty of clashes with the keyboard map in osx, the function keys being some of them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up