Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: say hello.,,, mmm aaaaahhhh => HI  (Read 7046 times)

h92o

• New User
  • Psychotically Challenged Mutant
    • View Profile
    • divine water
say hello.,,, mmm aaaaahhhh => HI
« on: May 28, 2008, 18:12:27 »

somehow this reminds me of ...

anyway Ice 9 in the forum and getting ready to create a mod or two .... 

when is vista & 64 bit processors going to get supported?  Not that my old computer is not up to the task and all but hey ...

just a glimpse of where my image production is now.

Deltafire

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
Re: say hello.,,, mmm aaaaahhhh => HI
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 18:33:21 »

I'm confused :(

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 18:43:01 »

hi, what are you on about? :)

This is the general forum for The MOD Archive, so... umm yeah - bit confused. Do you mean Milkytracker perhaps?

Anyway, welcome to the forum(s).

:)
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

h92o

• New User
  • Psychotically Challenged Mutant
    • View Profile
    • divine water
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:55:16 »

i have used mad-tracker but right now am unsure what a mod is?  I keep confusing it with moderator as compared to say FM or frequency modulation I do hope to do some modules of sound at some point but true I am un-sure of the xm extension ?  I can learn though right...  ;)

Vorpal86

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 08:24:57 »

Hey, I'm new here too, but I know what a MOD is. It's a music MODule. Protracker was the first?.. to feature the MOD format. These things have their instruments included with the composition info that it was created with. An XM is the extended scremtracker modules.. But not too sure the construction.

You also have the .MED (Music EDitor) module types developed by Teijo Kinnunen originally for Amiga back in 89 now maintained by RBF Software UK. Aside from those, you have your  it (Impulse Tracker) formats, s3m which is a part of Screamtracker.

Correct me if I'm away from the truth.. :) thanks

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 10:34:39 »

Well, you've got a little blurred general picture there, which is a lot more than what with the majority of population can brag. But if you want to focus it, here:

You are correct about the self-contained structure of module files. It has been prevalent through the second generation of PC trackers until recent years when so-called 3rd generation trackers (and some hacks) have allowed using external, even pro level, plug-ins as real-time synthesizers, advanced samplers, effects and what-can-you-think-of.

Karsten Obarski's Ultimate Soundtracker introduced the .MOD format and tons of hacked versions made it somewhat of a standard on the Amiga although there were playback and implementation differences. ProTracker (written and maintained by several different people throughout the years), especially the final revisions of versions 2 and 3 eventually became the most popular .MOD trackers on the Amiga. You might be spot on about .MED, somebody else needs to comment on that though. I don't really know since my path went from C64 to the PC.

Until ScreamTracker 3 by Future Crew, PC trackers were mostly imitating 4-channel Amiga trackers with the rare exception of offering more channels a.k.a. polyphony. (Not that the processors could have handled mixing that much more nor that the consumer level soundcards, DIY DACs or the system speaker could have made it all sound any good. ;) ST3 and its module format .S3M grew immensely popular only to be matched later by Fasttracker II (by Triton) with its .XM and Impulse Tracker (by Jeffrey Lim) with .IT.

The early versions of IT were just an improved ST3, and for a very long time XM was still the format with more features. As time went by IT took over the features from FT2 and introduced new features as well. I guess Triton was just too busy programming games at that time ;)

FT2 was the first tracker to really leap ahead from the old regular module formats which only offered samples without any fancy instrument attributes like envelopes, auto-vibrato etc.

clones

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 03:38:03 »

i have used mad-tracker but right now am unsure what a mod is?  I keep confusing it with moderator as compared to say FM or frequency modulation I do hope to do some modules of sound at some point but true I am un-sure of the xm extension ?  I can learn though right...  ;)

a good way to think about it is....

you have midi - like instructions that play samples stored in the file - the MODule file.

.XM is one type of many - .IT .MOD, etc.

Using modplugtracker is a lot like madtracker except less native effects.
Pages: [1]   Go Up