Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hardware ds midi kit!  (Read 10887 times)

unloopy

• New User
    • View Profile
hardware ds midi kit!
« on: June 26, 2008, 01:50:05 »

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
Re: hardware ds midi kit!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:36:51 »

I still wonder.....

Is this sort of thing really used as a MIDI instrument (the DS)? Is it the control novelty or are there really some cool ideas for using this type of innovation?

Genuinely interested. I have a DS (old version) sitting not doing much these days.

Hehhehe :D
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

unloopy

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 16:09:42 »

As a midi instrument it could be nice to have note on, pitch, note off data sent to a ds running all sorts of button and touchpad controllable sound apps but much more important are a) being able to sync the ds to other things and b) being able to use the ds as a sequencer, controller etc and that last one is huge.

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 12:38:49 »

b) being able to use the ds as a sequencer, controller etc and that last one is huge.

Aye, I guess it won't be too long before we see a Youtube video of a DS band with Live instrument playing. That would be pretty cool, I guess. It would certainly remind me of the laptop-band that was at Assembly a few years ago on the demoscene TV channel, but probably 10x cooler to watch hehe.
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

unloopy

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 14:13:03 »

Im told this kit will stop the buttons working during use and that it is midi in only.
Damn.. so near and yet so far....

Ill keep fingers crossed for a hardware midi solution but i suppose with the pandora console (able to use usb devices for midi/audio according to the devs) due out soon we can at least hope for some nice micro/macro studio interfacing in the future.

0xtob

• NitroTracker Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 13:25:00 »

At first I thought: Wha! A cool new MIDI hardware interface!

But it turns out that it only triggers the buttons, and that is waay too low level and waaay to hackish.

As you probably know, NitroTracker can already act as a MIDI interface (send and receive) via either wireless or hardware MIDI cable using DSMI. Unfortunately, natrium42 has stopped the production of the DSerial, so there's no DS hadware MIDI solution available now. But incidentally, I have a new potential DS MIDI interface lying on my desk called the CPLDStarter. I haven't really done anything with it yet, but I'll keep you up to date on the progress when I starting fiddling around with it.

unloopy

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 19:14:29 »

Yes it looks a bit seriously rubbish.
But the cpldstarter thing looks interesting. Cant wait to hear a bit more about this.

Scottzilla

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 03:55:36 »

Hey guys/gals.  Just thought I'd drop in and clear up a couple of things.

Midify doesn't stop the buttons from working.  Obviously while one is being "pushed" by MIDI you can't push it again using the real button, but otherwise it is completely transparent to the DS.

As far as being hackish, that's exactly the point.  This mod is for MIDI-enabling apps and games that have no built-in support for DSerial or any other interface.  While limited in what it can do (buttons only), it requires absolutely no software support.

Take the PixelH8 cart for example.  It won't support a serial MIDI adapter so this is a good way to control it.

Thanks for checking it out, anyway, even if it's not what you're looking for.

-Scott (Division 6)

PS: Is an "out" version something you would find useful?  (Use a Game Boy as a MIDI controller)
Pages: [1]   Go Up