Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tracking after systems  (Read 4472 times)

usrfriendly

• View Profile
Tracking after systems
« on: July 12, 2008, 09:59:45 »

Didn't know how else to title this...  When I start up MilkyTracker, the first thought in my head is this:  Which game system?  Unfortunately, I only know the track setup for Gameboy (2 pulse, 1 noise, 1dpcm), and NES (2 square, 1 triangle, 1 noise, 1 dpcm).  Anyway, can thinking like this be a hinderance to creativity, even though it helps me decide the type of song I do?  How do you create a song in the beginning? I'm not saying right/wrong, but i wanna know if this could make it hard for me in the long run.

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
Re: Tracking after systems
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 14:30:09 »

Do whatever you need to get your creative juices flowing but too much of anything might not be good. If you're going to write only NES and GB chiptunes, why not use the appropriate cross-platform tools to write in formats that are (at least theoretically) playable on the original platforms. Authenticity guaranteed.

I'm not saying I didn't write mods with imitation and limitation, au contraire. I don't know if it becomes apparent from listening to my tunes but I try to always start on a clean slate and find a new angle or source of inspiration for each piece. (Or explore one area a bit more, resulting in a set of songs closely related.) It can be a platform like you mentioned, recently I've been improving my .MOD skills and taking full advantage of Milky's improved Amiga compatibility on my PC. But it can also be a set of samples, a synthesizer, whatever. I just think it's important to try different things.

Utilizing MilkyTracker to its fullest has its own charm to it too, and it's also pretty oldskool; Fasttracker II is almost 15 years old already.

usrfriendly

• View Profile
Re: Tracking after systems
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:53:26 »

Well, i've tried thinking about something to say, you gave me a new spin on how to look at it, and maybe, i'll work on FamiTracker (if I want to do NES, i'll just do it), which might actually open up my visible possibilities on Milky Tracker.  i guess my main issue is just getting inspiration for a song.
Pages: [1]   Go Up