Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 0.4 corrupting samples?  (Read 29134 times)

darkbluedrew

• New User
    • View Profile
0.4 corrupting samples?
« on: July 13, 2008, 05:19:41 »

Been using 0.3 for a while, and had not come across this problem until switching to 0.4. It seems that editing samples, then saving the song, corrupts the sample that is embedded in the .xm file. All the tracking info stays, but some of the samples turn to white noise and/or buzzing sound. Using 0.4 on Supercard MiniSD on DS Lite.

To replicate, open notominous-a19.xm, click the third sample (ahh.wav). Go into sample editor and delete the last bit of the sample on the right (sample will still sound correct at this point). Save the song as a different file name, and reopen. I get 1 as white noise, 2 is normal, 3 is a harmonic buzz, 4 is normal, 5 is white noise, 6 is normal, and 7 is white noise. I did it with this file 3 times, and sometimes the instruments are white noise, sometimes they are more harmonic, sometimes the first half is buzz and the second half is kind of buzzy but sounds like the original sample.

I chkdsk'd my sd card to see it it was corrupted, but found nothing.

usrfriendly

• View Profile
Re: 0.4 corrupting samples?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:40:18 »

it might be a write issue with nitrotracker on your card.  apparently, you didn't upload the file, so I cant check for you.  Did you test it on another program (a tracker or mod player)?  have you had bad saves with any other files/programs on your supercard?  and is this the only song it happens to?  test the last one by making a song using the same samples.

0xtob

• NitroTracker Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 13:50:06 »

Now that's a good bug report with detailed reproduction steps! The problem looks like there's a bug in the DLDI (no handling of unaligned writes). You could try the Supercard DLDI patches instead:

http://dldi.drunkencoders.com/index.php?title=SuperCard_(SD_Card)

darkbluedrew

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 14:56:13 »

0xtob - I had originally patched the file with scsd.dldi, but I redownloaded the file and patched again (used the unpatched file out of the rar each time). Still does the same thing. I also tried scsd_moon.dldi, but it also did the same thing.

pogue - I wrote reproducing instructions with an .xm that came with the software so that no one had to download anything. This is not the only xm it does this with, it happens with any xm that I edit the samples - even recorded samples. I've never had a bad save or file on this card with any other software (but nitrotracker is the only reason I will open my ds lately). One time, nitrotracker 0.3 corrupted one of my .xm's, but if I remember correctly, it was my fault because I pulled out the SD card when it was running or something.

[edit] I also redownloaded Dlditool-win32-gui just to make sure it wasn't the patcher. It wasn't.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 15:07:15 by darkbluedrew »

0xtob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 23:39:43 »

Hmm, this is odd. Have you tried sclt.dldi as well?

darkbluedrew

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 00:03:22 »

I don't have an SC Lite, but I tried the patch anyway and it didn't work. Attached is an example of the problem per the method I originally posted.

0xtob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 02:29:37 »

Sorry, I misread MiniSD for MicroSD and thought it was an SC Lite. The file you posted looks exactly like the alignment problem. Does the problem occur only when you change samples or do you also get noisy samples when you just load a song and save it again under a different name?

darkbluedrew

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 05:31:20 »

Only when I edit the samples - I made some tracks with looped sine waves and they saved fine. This was not a problem in 0.3 as I successfully recorded and edited a bunch of samples and they saved ok (same sd card/supercard/ds).

People

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 10:40:40 »

I experience the same problems as darkbluedrew with recordings from the mic and loaded samples. After saving whatever I do in "NT 0.4" to an ".xm" file, I get discouraged because everytime I load anything created in "NT 0.4" either some recordings or samples or both get messed up. You never fully hear and get back what you previously saved. I never had this problem with "NT 0.3". I am using "NT 0.4" on the NAND memory on AK RPG.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:18:23 by People »

darkbluedrew

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 14:22:25 »

After much trial and error, I figured out that by removing "dldi.scp" from the root of my sc card, I am able to use the full potential of NT! I am very impressed by this version. Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up