Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music for indie game Katakijin Needed  (Read 9248 times)

ultim8

• New User
    • View Profile
Music for indie game Katakijin Needed
« on: September 08, 2008, 21:21:02 »

I'm working on an action-adventure platform fighter called Katakijin. You might have heard of it as it was spotlighted on tigsource.com as well as a few other indie game websites. In it, you play a Ninja who is trying to avenge the death of his clan members and retrieve a mysterious artifact. The game has been accurately described as "2D Ninja Gaiden Black;" it focuses heavily on strategic combat. Here's a link to a youtube slice video so you all can get a feel for what it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z8NVWNd9rA

I have some options for music, but I really want something unique to the game. The game will be divided into six parts, so I need six pieces of music + 1 piece that will play during boss fights, for a total of seven. I'd also like a title screen piece, but that is optional. The game will be freeware, and I really can't afford to pay for the music. Hence, not only will I fully credit the author, but I will also code in a music test option as well as make the author the first official beta tester (your opinions will count!). The game is going to be released early next year.

I'm looking for something that is emotionally charged, but is still action oriented. The theme of the game is sadness/anger/redemption. I can give samples of what I want the pieces to feel like. I'd like to be able to preview each piece too so I can know if it's going in the direction I want. I'd like it in .it format, but .xm and .mod works too. Average length should be about 2 to 3 minutes and it should loop.

Anyone interested? I'd really appreciate it.

(btw I'm going to submit this game to IGF next year so you never know!)

barryvan

• I can't decide if you're adorable or creepy.
    • View Profile
    • barryvan
Re: Music for indie game Katakijin Needed
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 02:32:37 »

Hiya Ultim8. I might be able to help you out with that... As long as you don't mind the music being in a format like MP3/OGG/FLAC/whatever. The problem is that I use a lot of plugins, which can't be ported around. But I'm still interested in maybe helping you out. If you like, check out my Trax In Space profile or my website for some of my stuff.
www.barryvan.com.au - design & music

the barryvan compo - Bimonthly inspiration-based compo

barryvan  @ Last.fm

ultim8

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 14:40:51 »

Thanks for responding!
I really don't mind. It's just that I want the songs to loop seamlessly, and it seems like having the song in module format makes it easier to loop since one can just put in a jump to pattern command somewhere. If you can make the songs loop seamlessly then those formats are fine. Also, the song would have to be about 4 to 5 minutes instead of 2 to 3. I listened to your stuff and it sound really good. It liked the orchestral stuff the most. "Drifting" is EXACTLY the type of stuff that I'm looking for. It was so spot on it wasn't even funny :D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 14:53:05 by ultim8 »

barryvan

• View Profile
    • barryvan
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 14:54:18 »

Yeah, looping would be a problem. :/ Whether it'll work or not will depend largely on the playback libraries you're using - a lot of them put in a pause, whether you want it or not, and whether it's in the file or not.

If you liked Drifting, you might also like Nightfall, which is similar in style, but a little bit softer. Perhaps for a quieter area of the game. :)

What time frame are we talking about with the music? At the moment, I haven't got very much time spare (a thesis'll do that), but in a couple of weeks I'll have more. There are always my existing pieces, of course...

barryvan  @ Last.fm

ultim8

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 17:28:50 »

Now that I think about it, I should be able to get away with just restarting the song, provided that the song is lengthy enough (approx 4 to 5 minutes). I'm using un4seen's BASS audio library. It has really good playback quality and it seems like they have a strong focus on quality and efficiency, so that should work well.

The game isn't going to be finished until at least January 09, so time is not really a problem.

Nightfall and Drifting are really awesome by the way. Do you have any more pieces like those? I just might end up using those if I can have a total of six to seven.

barryvan

• View Profile
    • barryvan
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 02:40:25 »

Right at the moment, those are the only two complete pieces in that style. I'm planning on expanding it out to a more complete "set" of pieces, though. :)

Perhaps we should move this discussion to email? That way, we can communicate more easily. :) My email address should be available on my profile page.

barryvan  @ Last.fm
Pages: [1]   Go Up