Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Slider" - a continuous keyboard  (Read 7091 times)

h0lyRS

• New User
    • View Profile
"Slider" - a continuous keyboard
« on: September 12, 2008, 03:49:51 »

I was playing guitar the other day, and noticing how easy it is to find the right notes for a song by sliding the finger on the fret until it sounds just right.

Maybe Nitrotracker could take advantage of this same effect, by emulating it on a touchscreen. Older PC trackers didn't have this same opportunity, since doing this with the mouse would feel unnatural. But with the touchscreen you can just slide directly with the pen.

This is the way I have imagined it inside NitroTracker:
1. the user selects a new mode called the "slider-keyboard"
2. user slides the pen until he/she finds a note - the tracker will sound the currently selected instrument, changing the frequency according to the Y-axis position of the pen
3. press the A button to store the note on a "buffer" (it could be represented graphically, perhaps on the opposite screen)
4. go back to the normal mode, still persisting the full buffer
5. press play and start recording
6. the user will tap the screen in the appropriate rhythm, while consuming and pasting the notes from the buffer

Bonus points: in the "slider-keyboard" mode, also accept input from the microphone: the user could whistle a note and press A to copy it to the buffer. The tracker would show the note that is being "heard" even before it is copied to the buffer, so that the user knows it is on the right scale.

My 2 cents.

Inverevni

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: "Slider" - a continuous keyboard
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 21:16:56 »

Hey i like your idea but i think it would be easier if the note is recorded at the moment you lift the pen from the note. So you search all the notes and you release the pen at the note you like. just a thought...
peace.

h0lyRS

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 01:34:51 »

That's also a possibility. But it's also something that the developer could test and see which way feels more comfortable. Cheers!  ;D

0xtob

• NitroTracker Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 12:24:45 »

I was playing guitar the other day, and noticing how easy it is to find the right notes for a song by sliding the finger on the fret until it sounds just right.

Maybe Nitrotracker could take advantage of this same effect, by emulating it on a touchscreen. Older PC trackers didn't have this same opportunity, since doing this with the mouse would feel unnatural. But with the touchscreen you can just slide directly with the pen.
Nice idea, but imo a little overkill for just finding a note. Sliding the pen on the keyboard was requested several times and will probably be a good feature. I'll add this as an option. Sorry to partially turn down the request, but I'd like to implement the more "fancy" features like the UI you suggested for a state where the basic tracker functionality is already there.

I added this to the issue tracker.
Pages: [1]   Go Up