Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4604 times)

Jannerd

• New User
  • snort
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: September 30, 2008, 08:08:24 »

Hi I'm Jannerd.

My main hobby is graphics (2d, 3d(not so much)), but lately I've started to have interest towards making music (especially "old-school"(or how you call it) style).

I've been "using" Milkytracker for like 2 weeks for now and I believe I've achieved some basic knowledge about tracking. My problem anyway is that I've never before had anything to do with making music, so I don't know anything about melodies, harmonies, notes, scales or anything. I've managed to make some decent drum tracks (I think). But if I try to add any melody to it, it sounds silly.

Anyway, I'm willing to learn.

And yes I need to stop using these(). Annoys even myself.
fasd

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 11:14:19 »

hi Jannerd, welcome to the forums :)
the melodic part is probably the hardest for people without music experience, yes. but everyone can improve by listening and watching what other people do. you could also try to do some minimal house music, you don't need any funky melodies there ;D
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Eagle

• Rising Star
  • Technique Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eagle's pulsonal website.
Re: Hello
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 15:13:11 »

Welcome to the modarchive, Jannerd! Leave your sanity at the door and enjoy stay! :D

Saga's point is: Monkey see, monkey do.

Find your own style and build on it. It's easy to get stuck in technicalities, but the more errors you make, the more you learn. Just focus on the music and you will improve.

Some basic music theory could help, however. You may want to read a little on that. We are all ears if you have any questions or need any help. :)
Collecting trackers and sequencers since 2006!
Pages: [1]   Go Up