Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sample tuning?  (Read 6443 times)

Torisuke

• New User
    • View Profile
Sample tuning?
« on: October 29, 2008, 08:21:54 »

Hi

I've just recently stumbled onto MilkyTracker while searching for music software for my new-fangled Linux box. I've figured out most MT's usage that I've needed so far through experimental button presses and gleaming the documentation. However, I've run into my first oddity that random incremental tweaks and peering through the manual I can't seem to find the answer to.

Anyways, working with samples and instruments was initially self evident from prior audio experience. To get started, I created a clarinet instrument with 3 properly looped samples at C4-C5-C6 repectively and a simple 5-piece drum kit. When I opened the instrument editor to change the relative notes and note mappings, I noticed that every single one of my samples had the relative note set F-6 with a finetuning of negative -28, with a comparison playing showing that pitch remained unchanged from the original wav, leading to the actual questions behind all this: Is there some sort of autotuning to ensure that pitch remains constant upon sample loading and all my samples all loaded with the same tunings, or did I manage to mangle MT's default settings nearly instantenously after install?

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
Re: Sample tuning?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 12:48:40 »

The -28 thing comes from Fasttracker II. I think F-6/-28 is what you get when you load a 44100Hz sample.

pailes

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
Re: Sample tuning?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 19:36:21 »

Yes indeed, the finetune and relative note values are adjusted to match the sample rate of the imported sample when played at C-4.
Pages: [1]   Go Up