Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ...when not too creative.  (Read 7384 times)

Oliwerko

• In Construction
    • View Profile
...when not too creative.
« on: November 06, 2008, 21:41:41 »

Hi again.

I have a question (again). I just want to ask you more experienced ones how do you make your approach to a song when you don't get any good ideas. I mean, sometimes it goes all easy like hell at its own and sometimes I can't get anything out of my head. In the latter case I usually cease tracking and go do something else. But it also happens that it's something in the middle. There are no ideas that suddenly strike me, but I can create something if I try. And that's sometimes difficult to reach. How do you try? I mean, I am in a good tracking mood, I have piles of samples and I want to do some music. But how should I start? More accurate question would be better: How do you start? Do you get also this kind of feeling? I have the experience that when I can get over it and for example when I find a nice sample, I get a small idea that I can evolve. But it takes some work. It's not going easy, nor hard. Something inbetween. The question is, how to help yourself to get those ideas flowing?

I hope I made myself clear. If not, just let me know and I'll rephrase it.
I would be really glad having this cause clear, please share your thoughts.
I'm not afraid of death.
I'm afraid of murder.

billyskank

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: ...when not too creative.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 22:42:50 »

What you're describing is also known as Writer's Block. There is no general solution to the problem, though individual people sometimes find their own individual solutions. If you find that thing, place or person that gives you inspiration, that is what people refer to as their Muse. Good luck!

billyskank

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 22:46:19 »

For myself, my ideas usually come after I've listened to someone else's mod, when I play around with the samples they've used. I just try playing random tunes with each individual sample, and from time to time I find a sample which really suits a particular kind of melody. Usually it is completely different to the way in which the mod author has used it, which I like. I'll then take the sample and build a new tune around it.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 23:06:12 »

Sometimes you just have to accept it. Times will be better later. I had that especially last year, didn't compose that many tune - and now, all of a sudden, I start composing tune and finish them the day after.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

eldorado

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 01:28:15 »

when blocked,

just grab a mod,

ZAP all patterns,

and track, track away!!!

creating crap is better than not creating.

ahah .

crap for you may be good for me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up