Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tuning Help?  (Read 25516 times)

usrfriendly

• View Profile
Tuning Help?
« on: November 27, 2008, 22:58:22 »

In the Tracking section, I read Eagle's thread "The 10 Most Common Tracker Mistakes."  One of the things it mentioned was making sure all samples are properly tuned.  I got around to checking some samples I made using my chromatic guitar tuner, which works for my chip samples.  I applied it to some synth samples made on my computer, and it didn't pick them up unless I played them for a quarter of a second.  And I still can't get them in tune.  Am I doing something wrong?  And where can I read about sample tuning in MilkyTracker?

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Tuning Help?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 13:36:42 »

well, first of all, if the samples in a tune sound okay if you play them together, everything is perfectly okay. even if your guitar tuner doesn't pick them up correctly. why? because if f.e. *all* samples are a bit detuned, the whole tune will sound okay again. many many mod files actually are detuned from standard tuning (so the note 'A' won't be 440hz), but that doesn't matter at all, unless you want to listen to two pieces of music at the same time. :D what matters is that all samples in a tune have to have the same tuning or else... bleeding ears!
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

grimmeld

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 00:40:08 »

erm, shouldn't that be fixed?

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 03:51:25 »

wat? :rolleyes:

Kmuland

• Milkytracker Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 13:34:24 »

to tune your samples.. go to inst. editor panel and move the "F.tune" slider or  or the "note up" "note down " buttons.

grimmeld

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 14:15:07 »

still... shouldn't that be fixed?  :D

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 15:46:43 »

What should be fixed and how?

usrfriendly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 02:50:36 »

well, first of all, if the samples in a tune sound okay if you play them together, everything is perfectly okay. even if your guitar tuner doesn't pick them up correctly. why? because if f.e. *all* samples are a bit detuned, the whole tune will sound okay again. many many mod files actually are detuned from standard tuning (so the note 'A' won't be 440hz), but that doesn't matter at all, unless you want to listen to two pieces of music at the same time. :D what matters is that all samples in a tune have to have the same tuning or else... bleeding ears!
I understand about making sure the samples are tuned properly.  My problem is with the actual tuning of the instruments.  I have one tuned to C-4, one at C-2, both were sampled that way, but my third sample, after adjusting the loop points, came out at F#-3.  I'm trying to figure out how to tune that sample to the others.  I haven't gotten any change.

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 11:41:29 »

If your loop is short enough, it creates a chiptune like wave form that may be in whole another tune than the actual sample is. If you're going for a sustained sample, always try to match the loop points with the natural wave forms of the sample to keep the tune and sound constant.

If that's not the problem, but the whole sample is in the wrong tune, do what Kmuland said. You can use the Relative note value to quickly bring the tune in the same ballpark with the rest of the samples, and finetune does what it says on the tin.

grimmeld

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 20:16:13 »

damn i need to get my eyes examined, i thought Jojo said that mod tracking programs are detuned standard. D'OH.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up