Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pitch & Volume Slide, Note Delay/Retrigger  (Read 9886 times)

SparroHawc

• New User
    • View Profile
Pitch & Volume Slide, Note Delay/Retrigger
« on: December 05, 2008, 21:56:44 »

These are features that I make use of all the time in other trackers...  I know Nitro doesn't have an effects column, but it seems like the DS's hardware should be able to handle those from remembering what games sound like, and I'm hoping to use Nitro not just as a toy program, but as a music creation engine for future games developed for DS.

Synthesis

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Pitch & Volume Slide, Note Delay/Retrigger
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 00:23:03 »

I've noticed that some of the .mod/.xm effects were already implemented.

A few weeks ago I opened MilkyTracker and I began to make an experimental tune that contains almost all the effects so I could see which ones were implemented -- but I still haven't finished it. However, here are the results:

- 0xx:          works
- 1xx/2xx:      nothing
- 3xx:          nothing
- 4xx:          nothing
- 5xx/6xx:      not checked
- 7xx:          nothing
- 8xx:          nothing, when >0, the note disappears
- 9xx:          nothing
- Axx:          works
- Bxx:          nothing
- Cxx:          Works, the volume is set as maximal during the first tick, and is set to xx on the second tick
- Dxx:          works
- Exx:          not checked
- Fxx:          works, but the displayed value doesn't change
- Other FX:     not checked

Also, the 00 instrument seems not working: a note with the instrument 00 will stop the sound (it tries to play an empty instrument) instead of playing the same instrument with the same effect (useful with effects Axx or Cxx).

And repeating an instrument (putting only the number of an instrument and no note in a row) will not reset the current effect.

These effects still can't be viewed in NT, hope some of them will be editable in NT 0.5 :)

SparroHawc

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 05:32:09 »

Incidentally, if there's a question as to how to implement displaying the effect column while still keeping the interface fairly tight, it might be possible to only expand the column that is currently being worked on and keep hidden the display columns of the rest of the columns.  Primarily, to see what's going on, you only need to see what note is being played in the other channels IMHO.

LuZeke

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 15:17:33 »

While reading the thread I thought of something. What if the effects could be applied in a separate mode in which you choose the desired effect from a menu on the side (or wherever) and applies it to the desired note(s) by touching it with the stylus. Draging the stylus over multiple notes would apply the effect to those notes.

Then when the effect is applied it is visualized by a colored bar displayed over the note (the bar is placed behind the note text when going out of effects mode) and the amount of the effect can be changed by holding down on the bars left edge and sliding it right/left to the desired amount. For precision, a number can be displayed while doing so and you could use the D-pad if you only wanted to change small amounts.

It would possibly look something like this

I've always found that applying effects in trackers is tricky business and takes very long to learn how it works, especially since nearly no two trackers use the same effects legend (as far as I know). A more graphical interface would help those (like me) who haven't fully learned the mystical ways of tracker effects.

Does it sound feasible?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:57:59 by LuZeke »

The Onyxmizer

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 00:21:50 »

I agree LuZeke, and it would be a very nice use of the touch screen as well.

Rio

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 11:44:51 »

I think the use of effects is very important and should be entered as numbers, like the current volume control of a note.

Maybe a changeable/switchable view of the current volume-column would be great.
there you can decide between volume / effect view.

another idea: if the effect column is opened, it could be nice to open an extra view on the other screen. There the effects bars can be displayed, which can be modified with the stick.

maybe similar to that skale functionality:
http://www.ixbt.com/soft/images/track_editors/skale_tracker_trackeditor.png

b.regards,
rio

The Onyxmizer

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 21:39:58 »

the only problem is RAM, but how much would some simple effects take up? \

What about a sample EQ?

zoikkis

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 17:35:33 »

Effects missing from the GUI at the following 'issue': http://code.google.com/p/nitrotracker/issues/detail?id=1
Pages: [1]   Go Up