Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: delete a instrument to save RAM?  (Read 12430 times)

devin

• New User
    • View Profile
delete a instrument to save RAM?
« on: December 06, 2008, 22:27:52 »

i posted this on another board, sorry to anyone that's read this message already.
I'm trying to delete/remove an instrument that I'm not using to free up some RAM, and there doesn't seem to be a way to do it, other than maybe deleting/renaming the sample file so nitrotracker can't find it.  A workaround?
Thanks,

Devin

Synthesis

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: delete a instrument to save RAM?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 00:30:35 »

Under NT, I usually select-all+delete the sample. I actually never checked whether some RAM was saved.

You can save RAM by replacing an instrument you don't use by a shorter one you may want to use.

The best solution is to edit your module with ModPlug or Milky, and zap the instrument...

devin

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 22:50:42 »

Yeah, I loaded the song onto milkytracker and deleted the instrument, good idea.  Your workarounds are clever...I will use them!
Deleting the instrument saved about 200k, which is significant as the DS only has about 2 Mb ram free for samples once you load nitro tracker.  I hope this limitation can be overcome as I have a lot more fun composing on the DS than I do on my laptop.

0xtob

• NitroTracker Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 19:14:46 »

Actualy, the DS should have over 3MB (3.4 or so) of RAM free after starting NitroTracker. The select-all, delete method will not delete the instrument, but the sample data. Since the instrument data (name, volume envelope, relnote, finetune, sample mappings etc) are only a few bytes, it's not necessary to se a PC tracker to really delete the instruments. Nevertheless,  might add this feature in a future version.

In your OP, you asked about memory expansion cards. These will not work with NitroTracker. I had the intention of adding support for them, but it turns out the DS cannot play back sound from them directly, which makes them worthless for NitroTracker. However, the DSi has 16MB of RAM, and once it's hacked, I'll make a DSi version of NT which can use all the extra RAM. On another note, I've seen few xms (or any other kind of mod-derivate) that were bigger than 3MB, so I dare say that 3.4 MB should be enough for everybody :)

emef

• New User
    • View Profile
    • michael forshaw
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 20:04:52 »

i read that we wouldn't be able to use r4 cards with the dsi
will it still be possible to use nitrotracker in some way on the dsi?
i was quite disappointed when i read, no homebrew stuff on the dsi 

0xtob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 23:51:01 »

The R4 and all other old flash cards will not work with the DSi any more. There are new flash cards with "DSi" support coming out, but they only support DS mode, i.e. homebrew will not be able to use the DSi's special features like the cameras and the extra RAM when run from these cards. Rest assured though, the homebrew community is hard at work to get DSi-mode homebrew running. At the moment, I would not advise to buy a DSi flashcard.

mike_flux

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 14:01:57 »

So all this means that Nitro tracker WILL work on DSi
but will not benefit from its extra RAM & stuff??

To put it simple: If i buy a DSi flashcard, and load Nitro Tracker in to it, my DSi will run it???

0xtob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 00:11:20 »

Yeah, but I wouldn't buy a DSi flash card just now, because Nintendo is playing the ol' cat and mouse game with card manufacturers, releasing system updates that block all flash cards on the market every now and then. I'd wait until the homebrewers come up with a solution. Chances are you won't even need to but anything to use homebrew on DSi. So, my advice is: Be patient :-)

lungbutter

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 11:45:55 »

sorry im still a little confused,will i be able to load nt onto a dsi and make use of its extra ram in the future??is there any update on this?cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up