Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing speed?  (Read 9646 times)

Diealready

• New User
    • View Profile
Changing speed?
« on: January 25, 2009, 19:56:00 »

how can I change the speed of the song in different areas, so in one area its at 4, then goes to 2 at a different part of the song.

so basically, How do I make a pattern/note faster without making the entire song faster?

^
(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
Re: Changing speed?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 03:26:46 »

You can do pattern speed changes with the Fxx command, I think. I don't use MT so I'm not entirely sure - there must be something in the documentation (?)
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 08:48:33 »

http://www.milkytracker.net/docs/MilkyTracker.html#fxFxx

The default speed setting is F06, F7D.

Diealready

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 01:14:04 »

ahh, ok, I get it now. thanks.

^
(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Djinnocide

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 17:30:28 »

I'm having a similar issue, but when I add the Fxx command it changes the speed for the entire song. Is there something I'm missing here?

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 18:17:35 »

well, why should it constantly change the speed? if you want to return to the original speed at a later time, put the original speed on the next row again.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Djinnocide

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 19:58:56 »

I suppose I could've included some more information...

Say I've got 2 patterns. On pattern 1 I've established a BPM of 120 and a Spd of 4. In pattern 2 I want to up my speed so I use an Fxx effect and I place it at the beginning of pattern 2. When I go back and play pattern 1 I find that the speed has been increased there as well.

Any thoughts?

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 20:31:23 »

that is exactly the reason why this makes sense - you can recycle patterns at different speeds. if you don't want the speed change to be permanent, you simply can't recycle the pattern. make a copy of pattern 1, add Fxx, done.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

TraumFlug

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 20:41:10 »

yep, it is like that, and that's the correct behaviour. speed is not set on per-pattern basis, but globally - once you the tracker gets to an F command, the speed is set up according to it, until it finds another F command overriding. the "song" bpm & spd values are just meant to set up the tracker to a certain state once, when a song is loaded.

this behaviour is also with many other effects: notes continue to play over pattern boarders, untill another note is set in that channel. portamento, vib, etc. parameters get stored for the channel, and remembered for these effects beyond pattern boarders if you use these effects with zero parameters. global volume, once changed, won't automagically be restored when you skip back in the tune, or restart from the beginning after stopping, unless it is set to the desired level on the row of the pattern you're starting playback with.

that means you have to keep track of the speeds, levels and parameters yourself, so if you enter another speed in pattern 2, the speed is applied until you change it again. just use an Fxx command on first row of pattern 1, too, so it's always playbacked at correct speed.

all those quirks are of course ultra-user/newbie unfriendly, but it is also part of the art of tracking to "abuse" them wherever possible to get unusual results from unusual pattern data. a bit like coding a microchip with assembler, and optimizing the code.

it would be possible to change the code of the tracker, so speed changes are remembered/set up per pattern, but that would break compatibility with lots of tunes. I think there's also lots of "insane" modules that rely on that behaviour. simplest example would be a song with a slow and a fast part, using the same fill patterns in between, and two "initial" patterns where the speed is set once.

Djinnocide

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 21:09:24 »

Alright guys, I think that answers my question. Thanks for the assistance!
Pages: [1]   Go Up