Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sampler editor  (Read 5802 times)

horaciocs

• New User
    • View Profile
Sampler editor
« on: January 29, 2009, 00:15:13 »

Hi all! I'm beginning to work with milky, I had never done anything related to tracking before, but I understand about music theory and stuff in general. Tracking and sampling are the issue here ;)

I did the very first tutorial (the one that comes with milky), an in it I created a sample using the sampler editor. The tutorial guy said that I should create a sample 64 samples long.

When talking about sample length, what is a sample, exactly? Is it the full wave drawn in the editor or is it a point in it? Because if I'm creating a new sample, how come its size is measured in samples? (Do you get my question? It's like saying "that wall is 2 walls high").

I have done some experimenting with sample lengths, but I just haven't got the hang of "measuring" them in tracks. If I want to draw a snaredrum, for instance, how long should the sample be? Usually, from what I've seen, It goes around 140ms, or ~1000 samples or so. Now, what if I'm drawing a synth? The wave form is much simpler (I don't think simpler is the right word, I'd say its use is different, to be safe), thus I believe the sample length should be of around 15ms or so (128 samples, right?).

Is this measuring always made "by eye", or is there some sort of calculation?

Another question, how do musical notes relate to sample length? If I make 2 synths, one 64 samples long and the other 128 samples long, when I set them to play a C4, will both of them play in the same frequency? Or does it have more to do with how many wavelengths I set the instrument to use from the sample? (a sample that contained more than one wavelength, in this case)

Thanks in advance for the help, guys, I hope to be able to submit something for the community to hear soon!

horaciocs

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Sampler editor
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:00:21 »

**Did some more experimenting with the sampler and analysed some samples from others. It seems to me that the sample length is related to what instrument you're creating. Looped instruments, such as organs, strings and brasses can have rather small sample sizes, because their sound is due, mostly, to them being looped (forward). Percussion, however, such as a snare/kick, is meant to be hit only once at a time (no loop/one shot), so it needs a longer sample in order to be heard, is that right?

Category

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Category - uk.geek.core FULL ALBUM DOWNLOAD
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 13:41:42 »

I'm also a bit confused about the sample length issue - how does Milky deal with notes? Will it force the sample into the right frequency, or will it just resize it in ratio, and assume that the sample is a C?

Kmuland

• Milkytracker Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 16:46:40 »

When talking about sample length, what is a sample, exactly? Is it the full wave drawn in the editor or is it a point in it?

Sample is each dot that conform the line... a point in the editor as you say.
For musicians we use the name "sample" for the full wave drawn.

I have done some experimenting with sample lengths, but I just haven't got the hang of "measuring" them in tracks. If I want to draw a snaredrum, for instance, how long should the sample be? Usually, from what I've seen, It goes around 140ms, or ~1000 samples or so. Now, what if I'm drawing a synth? The wave form is much simpler (I don't think simpler is the right word, I'd say its use is different, to be safe), thus I believe the sample length should be of around 15ms or so (128 samples, right?).

The length of the sample depends on the amount of time that you need this sample sounding in the track.
If you create a single snare hit.. lets imagine that it needs 3secs.. your sample length is about 25000.

Maybe you create a small sample (a square wave for a synth). cause thats not a single hit.. you can use a loop in this little sample to maintain it sounding along the time.

You can create a long sample drawing a long one or using a smallish one and setting loop points.

Is this measuring always made "by eye", or is there some sort of calculation?

I do it by eye... create a long one, then remove the not used part and finally finetune to match the rest of instruments using the instrument editor tunning buttons.

If you dont want to finetune each sample with my process... only take care about create "samples of the sequence of 2" to be sure that these samples will sound "Tuned" along the rest 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, etc...

Or use sequence of 3...

Another question, how do musical notes relate to sample length? If I make 2 synths, one 64 samples long and the other 128 samples long, when I set them to play a C4, will both of them play in the same frequency? Or does it have more to do with how many wavelengths I set the instrument to use from the sample? (a sample that contained more than one wavelength, in this case)

If you use samples of the sequence of 2.. your samples will sound tuned to C

Later you can modify that behavior and set relative tuning.. etc into the instrument editor
Pages: [1]   Go Up