Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DS line-in/out shematic (also, hello!)  (Read 12868 times)

egr

• New User
    • View Profile
DS line-in/out shematic (also, hello!)
« on: January 29, 2009, 18:56:40 »

Hello!  I've been fiddling with nitro for awhile and love it!  The onboard sampling is the highlight for me right now so here's my contribution to try and make it as good as possible (I'm sure it's been done but I took the time to draw this out so I thought I'd post it).  This *should* solve the problem of blowing/distorting your samples when using a line-level source like a CD or whatever instead of a mic.

Uses the simple circuit from here:  http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/line_to_mic.html

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 19:00:28 by egr »

MatrixMaster3

• Rising Star
    • View Profile
    • MatriM3's Songs
Re: DS line-in/out shematic (also, hello!)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 22:16:20 »

okay, sorry to sound technically ignorant, but what exactly would this allow you to do, in layman's terms?
Check out my music here: MatriM3's Songs
My twitter: here

egr

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 22:25:35 »

okay, sorry to sound technically ignorant, but what exactly would this allow you to do, in layman's terms?

This is to turn the DS headset mic into a regular audio plug input for sampling directly from your source instead of through a microphone.

The resistors change the much higher voltage "line level" from a CD player or whatever to the low voltage "mic level" required by the DS (otherwise you would get big time distortion on your samples or possibly burn out the mic circuitry).

MatrixMaster3

• Rising Star
    • View Profile
    • MatriM3's Songs
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 23:40:22 »

oh cool, so just much higher sampling rates, which means their's the possibility for a higher quality live input feed (from another, higher quality mic and/or an audio input). Cool. I might look into doing this one day when I have time. Anyway you could make me one and I'll pay for it and you ship it? Or is that asking too much?  :) :P

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 00:31:30 »

Hello!  I've been fiddling with nitro for awhile and love it!  The onboard sampling is the highlight for me right now so here's my contribution to try and make it as good as possible (I'm sure it's been done but I took the time to draw this out so I thought I'd post it).  This *should* solve the problem of blowing/distorting your samples when using a line-level source like a CD or whatever instead of a mic.

Uses the simple circuit from here:  http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/line_to_mic.html

Excellent project and thanks for sharing it.

oh cool, so just much higher sampling rates, which means their's the possibility for a higher quality live input feed (from another, higher quality mic and/or an audio input). Cool. I might look into doing this one day when I have time. Anyway you could make me one and I'll pay for it and you ship it? Or is that asking too much?  :) :P

no... it's got nothing to do with sample rates... :)

it's about voltage levels on audio inputs...

microphones produce only tiny tiny voltages, so the input circuits that receive the microphone input are very sensitive...

iPod earphone outputs, for example,  are very "high voltage", and plugging those into a sensitive mic input will overdrive it if you wanted to sample something off the iPod.

This circuit reduces the input voltages to levels more comfortable for the audio input circuit in the DS.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 00:35:48 by m0d »
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

egr

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 15:32:46 »

Yeah, m0D's got it right.  I'm not looking to sell anything, tho.  Thanx for the offer. ;)

MatrixMaster3

• Rising Star
    • View Profile
    • MatriM3's Songs
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 23:36:37 »

kay, thatnks for the explaination, m0d.

@erg, I guess I'll have to learn about soldering and wiring, won't I?

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 02:15:05 »

@erg; how easy is it to obtain the special DS connector?
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

egr

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 05:41:22 »

You just have to sacrifice a DS headset with mic.  My local Wal-Mart carries the official Nintendo white ones.  I've seen at least 2 other brands on Amazon that have stereo earphones, I'd go with those.  Snip off the connector end of the cable leaving yourself about a foot or so and strip back the shielding.  There ya go!

DeaQuz

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 21:14:20 »

/offtopic

I've been thinking about the input thing. There is such thing as de DSkaospad, right?

Is there een possibility a developper can make a Kaospad clone using the mic in? There is a midiwifi version, but the one i have in mind would be great for a live setup!
Pages: [1]   Go Up