Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mewchu's music!  (Read 6901 times)

Mewchu

• New User
  • Mew!
    • View Profile
Mewchu's music!
« on: August 08, 2009, 16:51:04 »

So here is the first song I have made on Nitrotracker that I decided to release, it's called Universe II:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kjdmj1ltmym

Sorry that it's so big. (1.2MB) :(  For whatever reason, the note cut DOES NOT WORK? So I had to use some tricks that kinda annoy me when I hear them. Also, I know my string sample is really really bad, but it was the best I could do for now.

Please listen and review! :3

EDIT: Soundclick for those who don't like Mediafire:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7935946
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 17:20:24 by Mewchu »
-Mewchu

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
Re: Mewchu's music!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 02:37:37 »

The intro is quite nasty and has notes out of tune.

The progression is nice though, but you have disharmony going on, and it all centres around the out of tune samples. :(

You should perhaps tune all your other samples against a reference sample.

+ Structure, its there but needs improvement
+ Brave early release with Nitrotracker
- Irritating high pitched arpeggios through the whole tune, which are out of tune.
- Badly looped points in the bass pad.
- Size. This could have been made much much smaller.

A tip is to use NitroTracker to get your base composition down, then load your XM into Milkytracker and tweak it there. You really do need to address the sample tuning issue.

Thanks for sharing, and +1 rep for you from me, I think you've done a great job in stepping up and showing something which you've made.
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

Mewchu

• New User
  • Mew!
    • View Profile
Re: Mewchu's music!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 19:59:21 »

Hey, sorry, it's been a while, I've totally forgot about this place!  :-[ Sorry.

Thank you for the review (and the rep)!  First off, lemme just say that this song was made on a whim in like an hour, it was just something I had to get out of my system (I was on a FSOL kick and wanted to do something similar to Papua New Guinea).

All your points are valid and true. I knew it probably wasn't the best, but I mixed on the DS internal speakers, and some cheap headphones on which all the frequencies sound different, so I had no idea it was THAT bad until I listened to it on my stereo.

0__0

Most of the samples were from HornetFTP and you're right, were different keys. I don't know how to tune samples in NT, and I don't have Milky on this PC (it's my parents) but luckily my Mac hard drive should be in tomorrow so I will be able to do better. Same goes for loop points, I need to learn how to use that feature better. 

I definitely should have downsampled the samples so it would be smaller, but it was an oversight in a burst of misguided inspiration. I agree with you about the size, it kind of goes against tracker methodolgy, especially since you could do what I did on an Amiga with far less space.

The main arpeggio (DEE DOO DEEDLY DEE DEE DOO >_< ) was very loud and bad, I admit. But I was kind of proud of the vibraphone/xylophone arpeggio, although I can see flaws in that too (sounds a bit too sequenced, need to get a better feel for how an MPC would humanize it).

The only thing I can really disagree with you on is the fact that I should compose in Nitro and then improve in Milky. That kind of defeats the whole purpose of Nitrotracker, right? I mean I'm not going to make a XM on a Mac, and then load it into an A4000 to make it seem more Amiga-y. ;)

But yes, I agree with you on everything else, and I thank you for taking the time to listen to my track. I have something else I'm experimenting on, and would like to hear what you think about it (it's kinda dumb, but that was the whole theme I was working with, all samples are by me and properly tuned, it is 190KB) it's called Kangaroo Train:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nzncndjgndq

Once again, thank you! <3 <3 NITROTRACKER FOREVER!

-Mewchu
Pages: [1]   Go Up