Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another first song upon this forum  (Read 5391 times)

casper quasar

• New User
  • ying yang yeeemail
    • View Profile
Yet another first song upon this forum
« on: August 24, 2009, 22:18:28 »

Hello everybody, I am mongrelassault, a newcomer and learner of a delectable tracker, MilkyTracker.

This is my first submission and song on MT. The site had been down for a while now so there wasnt enough sufficient tutorials on how to use this tracker, but I think I did a decent job! Please let me know your honest opinions and be critical with the critique! I need to improve!  
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 22:21:27 by mongrelassault »
Salame, That's what the Korineins say again and again.

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
Re: Yet another first song upon this forum
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 00:16:54 »

I gotta say, you have done well here.

Your first submission, but certainly doesn't sound like your first piece.

+ and - points

+ melody
+ arps
+ bassline, nice
+ drum programming is good, samples are rubbish though, try a phatter SID sound.
+ structure. well done, not many people have any in their early stuff
+ use of effects, panning etc... keep going :)
- melody leads are a little static at times (hanging for too long on a note at full volume), you could do with breaking them up like you did in the second part where you play the melody with shorter chords.
- those hanging leads at around 1:23-1:32 are too loud for about 5 seconds too long.

overall, good stuff :)

👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

casper quasar

• New User
  • ying yang yeeemail
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 05:00:24 »

i really appreciate it! truthfully, this is my first piece completed. ive screwed around here and their and im quite familiar with famitracker and lsdj. i had really wanted to make something more crisp and i find that MT  is what i was looking for. dont hate me for this but i was wondering what the SIDs were? im pretty sure its a file of some sort, but if u can nudge me in the right direction and explain it for me, that would be splendid! thanks for the reply again  :)!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 05:14:53 by mongrelassault »

casper quasar

• New User
  • ying yang yeeemail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 05:18:39 »

well, i had just looked t up and i learned that SID is C64 style when you put it in the context you did, so now here's the real question. how would i make a SID sample from scratch?

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 10:27:24 »

You could use some C64 music editor in an emulator, create a sound in it and record that on your hard drive as a WAV file for MilkyTracker to load. Or playing a SID file with the desired voice soloed and again writing it to WAV (and not forgetting to credit the SID tune composer). Or, you could use some free software synthesizer* which claims to have C64ish sound or a patch and WAV it. However these can often be very different from actual SID sound and limitations but I digress, that's not the point. Look up the SID specs and listen to some SID files to get an idea what m0d might be on about. Then if you agree, use whatever tools to create a similar sound.

* Synths nowadays more often than not come as plugins you need to load in a host application)
Pages: [1]   Go Up