Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Poll

Do you use a sequencer?

No, I'm not even a musician so I don't know what i'm going to say now. :)
No, I'm a tracker 100%
I use the best of both worlds and use both.
No, I'm not even a musician so I don't know what i'm going to say now. :)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What sequencing (or DAW) software do you use?  (Read 58754 times)

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
What sequencing (or DAW) software do you use?
« on: August 26, 2009, 15:48:54 »

What software (or indeed hardware, if you count the built in sequencers) do you use to make your music?

I understand a lot of people have moved from trackers to sequencers over the years, but I found myself in the strange position of doing the opposite. I have used Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 for a decade up until 2007, and a very short period of time working with Sonar, but I was becoming uninspired so I decided to change my work flow - and I turned to tracking after seeing (and watching) what was possible with the demoscene tunes I had heard.

First of all was rediscovering AHX on the Amiga in 2006, pumped out 20 tunes in a month then got bored with that, but that was really before I got into problems with the old inspiration while sequencing.

Then I decided to give Renoise a go, because I found that it blended the most important parts of a DAW with a new way of working for me - tracked channels. I KNOW it's not a tracker in a classical sense, but you can not deny it's method of working is.

So for me, I'm an ex. sequencer for now. But I still have all my hardware and will definitely have to use it again at some point.

So I ask you:

What's your sequencer and why do you use it?

Are you clinging to an ancient version of it because the newer ones suck?

If you're not into sequencing, but are into tracking, what do you find are the advantages and disadvantages?

👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: What sequencing (or DAW) software do you use?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 19:19:17 »

I couldn't imagine using a sequencer 5 years ago when I started tracking, and I still don't. Won't happen that fast. Tracking is really great for electronic music, and also great for any other kind of music (although people often deny that). It's an unique experience.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

barryvan

• I can't decide if you're adorable or creepy.
    • View Profile
    • barryvan
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 06:12:58 »

I use OpenMPT as my host for all my music work. I then make use of various "industry-standard" tools like Kontakt within OpenMPT. A weird kind of melange...

I doubt that I'll move to a sequencer, because I find the workflow within trackers so intuitive now, and the development of OpenMPT happens at a reasonable clip -- as I continue working, I can have more of a direct impact on the direction of development, and request specific features, which is great. (Thanks Jojo! :P)

I don't make use of hardware at the moment, but that's largely because I currently don't have the funds for it -- my money, unfortunately, has to be used for various more mundane purposes.
www.barryvan.com.au - design & music

the barryvan compo - Bimonthly inspiration-based compo

barryvan  @ Last.fm

Ultrasyd

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Ultrasyd
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 16:15:00 »

I worked with Reason some years ago, wich is really intuitive. I recently gave a try whith Cubase but I wasn't in my element. When I bought my MIDI keyboard, Ableton Live was offered so I tried it. In fact I decided to go back to sequencers when I saw everybody was talkign about "VSTI". Ableton is pretty cool because you can use it like a real sequencer but also for... kinda "live mixing" with several loops programmed and you launch them when you want. But finally I discovered Renoise which has the advantages of modern sequencers but with a tracker interface hehe. Goodbye sequencers ! Maybe I'll use Ableton and Reason again when I decide to practice guitar again :) But what is sure is that using a sequencer with horizontal scrolling change your "point of view", your way of composing so it can be useful to try new things and experiment when you don't have anymore idea.

usrfriendly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 23:36:04 »

As far as VST stuff goes, I use Modplug and Aodix, the latter I just tried last night and fell in love with.  I think Aodix qualifies as a hybrid tracker/sequencer, because it has a piano roll, and isn't tick-based like most trackers you see.  If I need vst and samples, I'll use Modplug, but I believe I can operate completely within Aodix, and I'll have to see about that, I guess.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 00:02:54 »

Speaking of which, I'm currently working on my first tune that uses VST Instruments in OpenMPT, and it's pretty epic 8)
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Greippi

• New User
  • Grapefruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 17:15:16 »

I use both. Of trackers I use Schism, Milky and NitroTracker. A few days ago I got also LSDJ and fell in love with it. Sometimes I also use the MIDI tracker Tutka. As for sequencers, I use LMMS and Rosegarden.
Aldrin, Little Sound DJ, Milky, NitroTracker and Schism user

clones

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 18:16:50 »

I use Sonar 7 Producer (soon to upgrading to 8.5 - gotta call them today) and OpenMPT.

I also have lots of hardware - 5 guitars including a Roland GR-20 guitar synth, a bass, A Korg MS 2000 synth, M-Audio 88-es controller, Casio electronic Sax, a mandolin (in need or repair) and some other odds and ins.

ant1

• New User
    • View Profile
    • chiptune most days
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 22:41:11 »

I used FL Studio for about a year and made very bad dance music, since I have discovered Schism Tracker, I am not looking back! :) For things with VSTi, I use a demo version of Renoise, I guess I will pay for the full version when I get good enough to want to export my songs.

Sequencers maybe are better than trackers at putting together long recorded multitracks (guitar etc.) than trackers, I don't know. And also maybe better at MIDI control. But I prefer trackers for composing in, because I don't have to use the mouse.

woolters

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 01:43:44 »

I use Fruity Loops Studio 5. I started with FL 3.56 or something, and kept updating till I got 5, and then I realised I used the newer versions for the same purpose as the older versions, so I stopped updating. I have tried Renoise, but I'm so attached to MPT1.16, I keep coming back to it. The OpenMPT is simply too open for me. I can't get my head around it; if I want to start tracking, I do not want to have to set up my complete tracker before I can get a single note down.
I also tried Cubase, but I got completely lost.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up