Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's change the GUI to the FT2 one  (Read 7134 times)

Ev

• New User
    • View Profile
Let's change the GUI to the FT2 one
« on: September 13, 2009, 01:57:28 »

Since MT is open source, we should all change the GUI of MT to the one of FT2. Then could have possibly, the best FT2 clone available for windows because of the added GUI change. Anyone interested?

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
Re: Let's change the GUI to the FT2 one
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 14:12:31 »

Meh. The GUI layout never bothered me when switching after 10 years of using FT2. A carbon copy would also probably not work on portable devices using the 320x240 resolution tiny GUI (which still isn't separate from the desktop one). It really doesn't depend on looks, MilkyTracker already is the best FT2 clone available for Windows, OS X, GNU/Linux, *BSD...

Ev

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 15:45:50 »

I'd still like to build it anyway for desktops. For mobile devices, i'm pretty sure there could be an option, or a startup question such as "Are you running a mobile device? [y/n]".

pailes

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 17:47:19 »

What's the problem with the GUI of Milkytracker? Just curious, I mean I tried to keep it pretty close to the original.

Deltafire

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 13:35:18 »

Nibbles is missing!  I've been telling you this for years now..

luke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 02:56:05 »

HAH!

Ev

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 19:22:02 »

It isn't that there is a problem. I won't say that. I love how great MilkyTracker is, for being a clone. It isn't ugly like MadTracker or something like that. I love the original interface of FT2. MilkyTracker works, I am sure everyone who has used it will admit that.

Again there is no problem. I just think that (re)creating the original interface would be very nice.

MilkyTracker's GUI has it's own plus's and minus's compared to FT2. FT2, had such a simple interface how everything was vertical. I prefer that to the horizontal interface of MT. I feel everything is more cramped (even when I run it at 1920x1200, with bigger font for pattern). I won't say that MT has an unusable interface, it is perfectly usable. This is out of personal prefrences. Sure though if I want to run FT2, I do have an old DOS computer for it, RAD, and Impulse (and other demotools). But that is at 125mHz.

MT has very nice changes however, I will say that. At top with 'Song Title' I like how you can click to change the Title/Time/View Peak. However, the main problem (for me) comes with the buttons. Pat, Pos, Stop, Rec, Add, Sub are too close together (again, for me). I very much like the vertical view for Instruments and Samples, compared to the Horizontal view. I also like having the few buttons to view the instruments/samples (for me, I am not a fan of the scroll bar. Takes away IMO). I also am in love with the fact I don't have to see the scopes.

The top left (where it shows frames) is much better in MT. One of the things I would LOVE to see put in MT however is the fact that in FT2, they show 00, 01, etc on the left AND right. That I love.

I would just prefer the classical interface compared to the interface on MT. Skale(is dead IMO) and looks too, new. MT is classic which is good. This is not a slap in the face or an insult to MT. MT's sound and such is wonderful. Just for me the interface is much better on FT. I am not trying to push it on anyone. Just a preference for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up