Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: simple vibrato question  (Read 4452 times)

luke

• View Profile
simple vibrato question
« on: September 18, 2009, 16:03:37 »

???

Im using the vibrato command quite a lot in my latest track and was just wondering about some details.

Ok, so 4 = vibrato, then x = speed of vibrato and y = depth of vibrato.

Im wondering, in order to make the vibrato go in time (like 8 cycles per [8 row] bar) what number must be used? Im guessing if the song speed is 6 then to do this x = 6, is that correct or wrong? would that mean if you use x = 8 then you get triplet timing?

also, i want to know how to make the vibrato go down one semitone and then back up to the original pitch in one cycle. vibrato has maximum range of a full tone in milkytracker so im thinking if y = F then the pitch will go down two semitones (1 tone). Im a little confused because as hex F = 15 then half of that would be 7.5, ie. directly in between hex 7 and hex 8 which can't be written with one digit....know what i mean? so is the maximum value something other than F or am I missing something? As you can probably tell Im still quite noobish and really confused by this so any help would be seriously appreciated and will help me on my milkytracker quest.

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
Re: simple vibrato question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 18:45:18 »

The speed is related to ticks (spd value), but as tick 0 is always reserved for note and "set" type commands, "slide" type effects like vibrato are processed during the remaining spd - 1 ticks. Vibrato speed and song spd are not directly related. You can probably look up the code/theory behind it (from MOD/XM specs or source, but I'm more of a trial and error type of guy.

Somebody (I think sverx) pointed out "something" about the vibrato range explanation also. My explanation in the manual is based on a quick approximation and if somebody has an accurate correction, I'll be happy to include it in the manual.

luke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 19:58:40 »

interesting...so vibrato only has 5 ticks available for applying pitch slide per row if the song speed is 6. maybe as the 1st tick is not used x = 2 (or 4 or 8) would be aligned with passing of rows rather than 3 or 6....then again maybe not!!! lol! to be honest i dont have a clue, but ive seen alot of 483 commands in other peoples tracks so im guessing based on that. milkytracker is very interesting...its true, i should work out what sounds good by ear a bit more. ill have a look for that other post you mentioned to check for the y value i should use to get vibrato going down and up exactly 1 semitone. thanks dude... :)

luke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 20:01:13 »

im gonna check it by ear, by putting the vibrato speed on slowest and pressing a note 1 semitone lower when vibrato reaches its lowest point....see if they sound the same..
Pages: [1]   Go Up