Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Music in Freeware Games  (Read 3927 times)

Scarfy

• New User
    • View Profile
Using Music in Freeware Games
« on: October 11, 2009, 20:06:23 »

Just wanted to get people's collective opinions on using music in freeware games.

I've tried tracking down a few artists in the past, but usually the music files were created in the early 2000s (or late 90s) and the artist is no longer contactable.

So what does everyone think? Use the music and ensure the artists are credited, either by real name or composer handle?

Bjorn Lynne once told me that I was free to use his music, so long as I didn't sell the game and didn't claim that I had written it.

Alpha C

• TMA Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Chimera Music
Re: Using Music in Freeware Games
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 22:53:56 »

I guess that Bjorn's position would be the one held by most tracker/scene musicians. However, you can never be sure, so IMHO playing it safe would be best - i.e. don't use tunes if you're unable to contact the author.
That said, there are plenty of still-active people around that would be more than willing to help out software developers by providing some tunes.
Chimera Music tracked music label (http://www.chimeramusic.net/)

AcidSoul

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Using Music in Freeware Games
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 01:51:57 »

You're allowed to use scene music if you legally change your name to Timbaland, I think?

I remember some nice person asked me if they could use my music in a clone of tetris. I'd actually like to find and play that game now, but *you* try looking for a specific version of a Tetris clone without knowing the name! It's like playing 'name that tune' with 2 notes of each of the Nickelback back catalogue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up