Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trackers and bass= dissapointment?  (Read 6348 times)

Tetragon

• New User
    • View Profile
Trackers and bass= dissapointment?
« on: February 22, 2010, 18:32:34 »

Hey guys, I'm sorry I haven't been here for a while (like maybe one post, lol!), I've been tracking trying to learn the effects and more efficient ways to use samples and patterns, and most importantly how to get my song ideas out effectively.

I have noticed something though, the bass frequencies in trackers are really weak! I like to listen to DNB in my car, and the stuff that was obviously produced with rackmount samplers and such shakes the windows and gives you that satisfying bass BZZZZZ. Tracker modules never seem to do that, they come close but never exactly the same. Whether it's one of my own modules I listen to so I can think of ways to improve it, or some professionally tracked mod like Foregone Destruction by Michiel van den Bos (part of the UT99 soundtrack), the bass is slightly weaker than a non-tracker tune.

Is this just a problem inherent with old-school style (IE not Renoise or VST capable) tracker technology, or is there some way to make the bass bassier? I'm sure it's not MP3 compression because I use 320kbps 48khz CBR, which is what all my non-tracker music I listen to is converted to as well.

Thanks! :3
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 18:36:05 by Tetragon »

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Trackers and bass= dissapointment?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 19:19:53 »

Well, sorry to disappoint your, but all those assumtions are not correct. A tracker is nothing but an advanced sampler. You can sample anything. Even a fat bass. The problem is that most trackers are just amateurs, i.e. they have no experience with mixing and mastering. Back in the old days, it was also rather complicated to get good samples, meaning that people often just took the samples that were lying around. And that resulted in rather crappy sounding samples. But that doesn't mean that there's some kind of natural restriction to tracker modules! The software you use (almost) never restricts the sound you can make with it. Even on the Amiga.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Tetragon

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Trackers and bass= dissapointment?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 04:32:06 »

Really? I'n going to have to try and sample a MicroKorg subbass again then, and see if I can get the sound I'm looking for. Thank you!  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up