Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Support SF\SF2.  (Read 16684 times)

RavenHeart

• New User
    • View Profile
Support SF\SF2.
« on: March 15, 2010, 18:18:09 »

Thanks for a Milkytraker!! 
Loading sf/sf2 in instruments is planned?
I convert free sf2 in XI via Skale but Skale project is dead((
Awave(tm) also might convert sf2>XI but it's no free soft(

Kmuland

• Milkytracker Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Support SF\SF2.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 18:56:37 »

skale or awave do do also n volume envelope conversion?

RavenHeart

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 05:05:26 »

Awave manual:
"An especially thorny issue is how to best convert articulation data (lfos, envelopes...) between formats for different synthesizers as they can be implemented quite differently - however the program will try achieve good translations for you under all circumstances!"

I will check it.

speeder

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 19:51:35 »

Just to say that I unlurked, just because I want to support this idea!

The sole reason I am not using Milky for my lastest stuff, is the lack of SF2 support. (and I have found a really awesome SF2 that emulates megadrive sounds...)

pailes

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 22:15:40 »

I read up the SF/SF2 format article on Wikipedia, but it seems that this format is rather complex. Is a conversion of something contained in a soundfont file really useful in MilkyTracker? I mean it works for GUS patches to some degree, but SF/SF2 seems to be much, much more than SF.

DasKreestof

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 15:50:11 »

I am fairly invested into the SF2 format. For a time, it was probably the most widely used sample format in the world, due to the ubiquitous nature of the soundblaster series and the large number of amateur musicians that could afford it. It is not the most professional format, but it is a complex format compared to mod tracker sample formats.  Most sf2 converters / playback units don't accurately play back the format. What most sf2 converters support are the sample maps, the tunings inside those maps, and the loop points of those sample. Most converters disregard the volume and filter envelopes, with the filter being more commonly ignored amongst various converters. When you ignore the complex method that the envelopes and filter settings are handled, the rest of the format should be fairly straightforward.

Awave is one of the better converters. It can for example preserve both filter and volume envelopes when saving to some other formats, for example Kurzweil. (.krz)

If someone has a ton of different sample formats and wants to be able to easily convert basic sample maps, awave is certainly a program worth looking into and is worth the price. I believe that Awave can convert an XM into a midi file with an SF2. Those wishing to port tracker work into platforms such as Cubase, Cakewalk, Reason or Logic should find this feature to be a time saver. Obviously, tracking is it's own advanced format and many unique features (if used) will be lost during this conversion. For basic "play this note at this time for this long" the conversion should get the work done.

Speeder: If you send me the SF2 I will convert it to xm for you with Awave and you can tell us how you feel it has converted.

speeder

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 00:42:28 »

Demo reel and download link: http://www.youtube.com/user/RecFreeMedia#p/u/27/KWEMmTUZtLs

Diamondus (from Jazz Jackrabbit) with that soundfont
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eFb-rlorp8

DasKreestof

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 22:48:09 »

That's a huge soundfont. 65mb. I can break into seperate xi's, but I'm not sure how to get it back to you. Do you have an FTP?
Pages: [1]   Go Up