Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how can i change the keyboard map?  (Read 17506 times)

lazart

• New User
    • View Profile
how can i change the keyboard map?
« on: April 13, 2010, 22:43:30 »

hello,

I want to use the milkytracker port for maeomo (n810 internet tablet) but the keyboard on it doesn't have all the keys needed for editing modules. For example it has no delete key, which is very important for editing. I tried to remap the keys with xmodmap but milkytracker seems to have it's own keymap. How can i change it?

it would be wonderful to have full functionality! I spend hours in the train to work everyday and would love to compose meanwhile :)

I already asked in the only maemo thread but got no reply. hope to have more luck this time  :-\

greets,
lazart

Deltafire

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
Re: how can i change the keyboard map?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 18:05:58 »

The keyboard map is hard coded; to change it you'll need to modify the source and re-compile.

The file you're interested in is:

milkytracker/src/tracker/sdl/SDL_KeyTranslation.cpp

There's also the -nonstdkb command line option (used for keyboards which do not have the standard PC scancodes), which may be of some use.

haschischtasche

• New User
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 04:34:37 »

sry that i am divning up the old topic, but i always wanted to know something: what is the exact reason for making the keyboard map hardcorded instead of giving the possiblity to change it on the fly or via an *.ini?
Insert signature here...

pailes

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 15:02:17 »

Because sometimes things are simply not done properly right from the beginning and they're not changed afterwards and with time it becomes even more difficult to change them and then they are left the way they are. That's what real software evolution is like ;)

urban soul

• New User
    • View Profile
    • freak stuff
Re: wired keyboard layout thing
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 14:32:42 »

Hi,
I compiled MT from source and then something strange happened: my keyboard (QWERTZ) was "confused", eg:

Q -> D-6
W -> E-6
E -> F-6
R -> G-6
T -> not assigned ?!
Z -> not assigned ?!
U -> not assigned ?!
I -> C#4
O -> D#4

I tried the -nonstdkb command line option: then I have a normal QWERTY layout.
strange... how could this be?

„Es mejor morir de pie que vivir toda una vida de rodillas!“ Zapata

pailes

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 12:43:04 »

The azerty keyboard correction routine destroys your keyboard mapping. Nice ;) Tell Deltafire to fix it :)

Deltafire

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 21:52:26 »

The "azerty keyboard correction routine" should only affect the top row of number keys (basically we use the scancodes instead of the key symbols reported by SDL, due to numbers being shifted on that keyboard layout).

I'd expect -nonstdkb to act like you have a qwerty keyboard, that's how it works - it ignores the keyboard scan codes and uses the symbols instead (the conversion table is based on the qwerty layout).

I can only assume that your keyboard (or driver, or SDL) is reporting non-standard scan codes, you'd probably have to code in a conversion table for it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up