Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First attempts, Questions  (Read 5785 times)

Ashura

• New User
    • View Profile
First attempts, Questions
« on: November 06, 2010, 21:32:00 »

Hey guys.

So I was experimenting a bit with MilkyTracker and this little loop is what I've ended up with. Now I have a few questions:

My samples are self-drawn and they pretty much suck (especially the "drums"). How can I add some high frequencies to my samples? (The whole .xm sounds pretty muffled and deepish is what I'm getting at)

Where can I find a tutorial on how to draw neat drum samples? I know I can get a basic kick drum by creating a sine and then making it drop in volume and pitch. How do I do that in MilkyTracker's sample editor? I don't want to abuse effect codes for it.

How do I draw a basic snare sample? I instinctively tried using white noise and dropping the volume, but it didn't sound anything like a snare.

Also, I have a question about the bass. I know the bass line is as basic as it can get as it is. But the problem I was having is if I use deeper notes, it makes the bass sound less loud and have more attack. How do I prevent this from happening? Is it because I drew a bad sample?

Should I just try to create my samples with other programs?
Which ones should I try?

Thanks. ^^

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: First attempts, Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 22:15:54 »

How do I do that in MilkyTracker's sample editor? I don't want to abuse effect codes for it.
Well, you need to drop the frequency of your sine wave manually, i making each cycle wider. However, you will waste a lot of space that way, so I'd stick to a looped sine.

Drawing white noise is pretty difficult, and a snare is normally a bit more than just white noise, so I'd rather stick to ready-made chip samples.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker
Pages: [1]   Go Up