Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Accounts] Old Artist, New Artist, Guessed Artist  (Read 7381 times)

Josephine Lithius

• New User
  • Lv. 40 All-Arounder
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC's Café De La Reblog
[Accounts] Old Artist, New Artist, Guessed Artist
« on: June 17, 2011, 15:26:02 »

Greetings!

After many, many years, I decided to come back to The Mod Archive and poke around.  Most recently did I decide to contribute again.  However, in searching for random modules, I happened to stumble upon a couple things that really caught my attention:
- I apparently made an account back in 2002, which I'd completely forgotten existed up until just recently.
- Even prior to that, quite a few of my tunes are already on the site, but unassociated with any account!

This got me thinking about things...  Essentially, what I'd like to do is merge my new account, "Joseph Collins", into my old account, "Joseph D. Collins", having the password and e-mail changed to that of my new account and have all the tunes by "joseph fox" that aren't associated with either account associated with the merged account, or more preferably, outright deleted.  My reason for the latter?  I have new versions of a majority of those tunes which sound infinitely better and would be willing to upload them if there's any interest.  My reason for the former?  ... I like being considered an "oldbie".  ^_^;

So, is any of this possible?  If so, what steps should I take to make it happen?  Mind you, I don't have the username of password of my old account anymore, though I could make guesses all day...

Thank you for your time!
I'm not that hard to find… if you know where to look.
-=( https://jolikmc.tumblr.com )=-

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
Re: [Accounts] Old Artist, New Artist, Guessed Artist
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 20:34:10 »

Right. Account merging. It's impossible.

However, we can do the following (and this will require a lot of leg work by yourself):

- I can deactivate your new account
- I can send your old account details along
- You can provide a comma separated list of module-IDs (just the numbers) of the modules you want put onto your old account. If you have uploaded stuff more recently, you will need to do this. You can of course do this manually yourself one module at a time via the retrofitting mechanism in the Module Management area.
- Once those modules are associated with the profile, you may begin to upload your 'new revisions' to the site. When they have been approved (they may not, no guarantees), you will need to visit the module page, note the ID and then provide both the old and new IDs which I can use use to 'merge' the modules together, essentially replacing the older file with the new but keeping the info data intact.

Be aware that doing this a) doesn't update the module text b) keeps the info from the oldest entry. c) It's a horrendous manual job. If there are many, it could take a while before I really feel up to doing it.

- Adding all of the modules guessed as 'joseph fox' to the final profile is easily accomplished this end. As soon as you agree to have your new profile deactivated, I can proceed with this.

Plain outright removal is against the policy here and there is no technical implementation to enable it (it will cause cascading problems).

Let me know what you want to do
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 23:04:53 by m0d »
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

Josephine Lithius

• New User
  • Lv. 40 All-Arounder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 02:41:37 »

Uh...  Let me get back to you on this one.  I do want to do everything you suggested, but I can't really do much until the modules I uploaded a couple days before I posted this are processed and added into the archive proper.  Like I said, I had no idea I even still had an account here.  Because I never looked before re-signing up.  x_x;

m0d

• Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 23:21:16 »

I figured a way to do it "quickly", you should have an email with your old account login info. Your recently created account is deactivated. All of the modules on it have been attributed to your old account, and all of the modules which matched 'joseph fox' have been properly attributed as well.
💬 Modarchive Discord

Josephine Lithius

• New User
  • Lv. 40 All-Arounder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 02:12:50 »

That...  Yeah!  That seems to have done exactly what I wanted!  Fantastic!  You are a most awesome admin, m0d.  Thank you very much for your help and patience.  ... and... *facepalm*  Oh for the love of...  I have another alternate account?  I... have hard time believing I could have possibly been that thick, to make an account then make another one three months later... but there it is.  *shakes head*  I feel like an ass for asking, but would it be possible to just... get rid of that one?  My old account from April -- the one I'm currently using -- has more modules on it anyway.  Again, I an very sorry for this...  Had I known about that account, I would've said something, but it didn't even show up in the Search thingy.

Either way, I'm quite happy with having my old account back.  Thank you, thank you!  Now, I seem to have a bit of work ahead of me, figuring out what modules .  This should be fun...  x_x;

m0d

• Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 04:03:06 »

To be honest there is little harm just leaving stuff as-is (module wise), this is after all an archive of historical content. Some folks need reminding it's not a hosting site, or a soundcloud profile :)

It seems the modules on this newly discovered profile (69090) are already on the profile we have asserted as your original profile (69295) so I have gone ahead and deactivated 69090.

If in future you need to find your profile ID, look in the URL for 'Profile' on your page.

e.g. http://modarchive.org/member.php?69295

💬 Modarchive Discord

Josephine Lithius

• New User
  • Lv. 40 All-Arounder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 10:22:54 »

That's handy to know.  o_o  Thanks!

Anyway, all my modules are sorted in their appropriate categories now, ancient S3Ms link to the newer versions, my profile has had BBCode added...  Not at all bad for four day's work. (I would've replied sooner, but I've been busy.)  Thanks once again for all your help, m0d!  I (quite literally) couldn't have done this without you.

With your patron satisfied, this topic can now be closed, if you'd like.  And yes, expect more uploads in the future.  I am here to stay, if not actively than historically!  :D

And to whomever added me as a Featured Artist, cheers!  I didn't think my old-new stuff was that interesting...  ^_^;
Pages: [1]   Go Up