Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Couple issues I came across  (Read 4052 times)

pheonix561

• New User
    • View Profile
Couple issues I came across
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:39:05 »

Hi, I'm new to Milky tracker and learned the basics to this program through a couple tutorial videos I found on youtube. I ran into a couple issues I probably caused myself by trying to learn the program, and was wondering if you guys could help me shed some light on this. I'm running it on a mac, if that's information that needs to be known.

Typically when I see these videos, whenever they record a note, the bar recording drops down to the space immediately below it. Whenever I record, it skips ten spaces. So if I want any note to be played directly after the other, I need to record the note, then click the next space and record again. It's a very cumbersome process, and I haven't figured out how to solve it yet.

When I want to remove a note from the score, it's a simple enough process to just backspace. But when I do that, everything after that note on that page gets pushed up a space to accommodate for some reason. Is there a different command I need to be using? One that just erases the note without moving everything else?

Thanks in advance. I'd love to make 8bit tunes, but working through problems I know could be solved is very distracting.

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
Re: Couple issues I came across
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:37:36 »

Typically when I see these videos, whenever they record a note, the bar recording drops down to the space immediately below it. Whenever I record, it skips ten spaces. So if I want any note to be played directly after the other, I need to record the note, then click the next space and record again. It's a very cumbersome process, and I haven't figured out how to solve it yet.

http://forums.modarchive.org/index.php?topic=3140.msg12011#msg12011

When I want to remove a note from the score, it's a simple enough process to just backspace. But when I do that, everything after that note on that page gets pushed up a space to accommodate for some reason. Is there a different command I need to be using? One that just erases the note without moving everything else?

I personally think the way the Backspace key functions (like it does with text entry) is the only way it should work, and have grown more than used to compensating by adding lines with the Insert key (which is not how Insert key normally works). I feel totally lost in trackers where this doesn't happen. Preferences, ain't those a bitch. Mac keyboards don't even have Insert keys, even the full sized ones put the F'n Fn key in that spot!

There's two ways around this. You can set up an Insert emulation shortcut out of a couple of options in the OS X version of MilkyTracker. It's somewhere in the App menus. Can't check now, at work, Mac at home. My preference was setting it to that whatever modifier+Backspace so it's at least somewhat logical in relation to Backspace presses. The other way is to use Delete instead of Backspace, which on a MacBook keyboard means pressing another modifier with the Backspace key. The difference is Delete doesn't remove the previous note but the one at the cursor. It also advances the cursor by the Add value (see answer to previous question) but doesn't affect the position of the notes after the deleted one, which should please you.

an0va

• New User
    • View Profile
    • an0va on Facebook
Re: Couple issues I came across
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 06:28:53 »

Try Fn + Delete!
http:/facebook.com/an0va
Pages: [1]   Go Up