Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wazza!  (Read 3967 times)

vicesome

• New User
    • View Profile
Wazza!
« on: December 26, 2012, 19:05:51 »

I'm new on the forum, so I thought it would be nice to introduce myself.
I started with computers somewhere in the 80's with a CBM 64, later I moved on to the Amiga and it wasn't that long before I got introduced to those awesome demos. Most notably I remember 'Jesus on E's', was like having your private home party. ;D
Then I started using octamed to create songs, and ever since I didn't stop. I do use FL Studio and hardware mostly, but the nostalgia of the old tracker mods is still there. 8)

Not sure if I should ask it here or start a new topic alltogether, it concerns the mods that are in the Public domain category here on Mod Archive: when I open them in my tracker player, there's mostly credits and dates in the comments - which makes me wonder if they are really in the public domain?
I wound't blantly use them, but use bits and parts of melodies that I would render to midi and then rework in FL Studio. However, I don't dare if they are not REALLY in the public domain.

I remember that Timbaland did run into problems after he had presumably used a sequence from a demo mod in a song for Nelly Furtado. Of course he denied the implications and got away with it thanks to his well payed lawyers.
I would however like to play it safe than be sorry later.

Also, if some can point me out to certified PD mods please do, all help is welcome.

Oh and, no it's not that I'm releasing commercial stuff for the moment, but you never know... ;)

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 19:07:27 by vicesome »

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Wazza!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 21:42:10 »

Welcome!
Mods that are marked with the "public domain" license were marked so by their respective creators, so if you take advantage of that but the author doesn't like it, noone can be blamed!
Anyway, the usual "give credits where credits are due" is always a good advice.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

vicesome

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Wazza!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 01:25:45 »

Welcome!
Mods that are marked with the "public domain" license were marked so by their respective creators, so if you take advantage of that but the author doesn't like it, noone can be blamed!
Anyway, the usual "give credits where credits are due" is always a good advice.
Oh, if the creator waved their copyrights to licence it to the public domain, then there's indeed no trouble in borrowing some bits and stuff. Good to know and thank you for clearing that up Saga Musix! :)
Indeed if I do use it in some works I'll gladly will pay my tribute and give proper credit.

I have and will always be amazed by how some mods are quite simply brilliant when it comes to the musicality and the way some could cram everything on 4 tracks. Just like it is with coders, there's a fine line between geeks and straight-on geniuses.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and rest assured I'll post some tracks for all of you to enjoy once they are ready. 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up