Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions About Module Formats  (Read 8128 times)

njaddison

• New User
    • View Profile
Questions About Module Formats
« on: March 09, 2013, 21:19:33 »

Hi, njaddison here.
I haven't been on the Mod Archive for a while because I've been tracking non-stop, learning new techniques, and even learning how to use new trackers. In addition to MilkyTracker, which was my first tracker, I've learned how to use ScreamTracker III, Impulse Tracker, FastTracker II, Skale Tracker, and SchismTracker. Most of all , I've learned how to use effects to enhance my songs (This is something that all beginning trackers must do if they want to become any good).

The past few weeks, I've been working on a remix of Darude's Sandstorm. I've only gotten the intro and some of the main part of the song done. When I finish, it's most likely going to be my best song so far. I'm using SkaleTracker to track it. The song is a 64-channel .XM. That's my problem. Skale's 64-channel .XM format is not compatible with FT2. This is because in FT2, the channel limit is 32-channels. Will JMOD accurately playback the module, even with 64-channels? If not, can I just post the song in it's original .skm (Skale Module) format? Or is there a way that I can make the module un-playable with JMOD? Maybe I could open the song in IT and save it as an .it module?

Thanks, and if anyone has any more questions pertaining to module formats, feel free to use this topic.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Questions About Module Formats
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 15:14:49 »

JMOD is crap anyway, I wouldn't care for compatibility with that. Skale Tracker modules can only be played with SkaleTracker, so they are not supported by ModArchive (all formats supported by ModArchive are playable by a large number of players and trackers).
1) Why not use the IT format with SchismTracker or any other IT-compatible tracker?
2) Why not use less channels? :P
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

njaddison

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 02:54:31 »

JMOD is crap anyway, I wouldn't care for compatibility with that. Skale Tracker modules can only be played with SkaleTracker, so they are not supported by ModArchive (all formats supported by ModArchive are playable by a large number of players and trackers).
1) Why not use the IT format with SchismTracker or any other IT-compatible tracker?
2) Why not use less channels? :P
Well...

Even though I've learned how to use Impulse Tracker and Schism Tracker, I will always think that the interface is awkward, because I'm so used to using FT2-based trackers. I know OpenMPT is your favorite tracker, but the interface is too bright and also awkward to me, maybe more or less (talking about the awkwardness level) than IT. I'm used to using trackers with a dark interface; it hurts my eyes when I use OpenMPT for a long time. I pretty much gave up on trying to learn to use OpenMPT, mainly because I found SkaleTracker.

Also, I started tracking the remix in FT2, and I ran out of channels. I created an echo effect, and I had to use multiple channels for single instruments for more volume. This is the first time I have done this, so I hit a brick wall. So, I opened it in Skale, and extended it to 64 channels. Then, I started tracking again. I think by the time I finished, I'll have filled all 64.

At least I'm glad I don't use a 4-channel tracker though. I don't have anything against 4-channel mods, but the trackers must have a lot of frustration and hair pulling when they are making one.   :) ;) :D ;D

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 13:11:38 »

OpenMPT's colours are configurable. If the rest of the interface (the part that is not configurable) is too "bright" for you, well, then why are you using such a bright Windows colour scheme?
» My TMA artist profile
» Open ModPlug Tracker

njaddison

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 04:18:34 »

Oh, thanks, I didn't know that...   ;D
I guess I see how much I can tweak the interface.
A few more questions:
1. I'm thinking about asking my parents to buy me Renoise. Is it worth their money (and my time)?
2. I just downloaded AMUSIC, an adlib tracker. I ran it under DosBox. Can anyone give me some instructions on how to use it? And where to get some AMUSIC Instruments? I can't load .wav files!
3. Has anyone gotten ProTracker to run under an Amiga Emulator?
4. Can I use my mouse instead of random numbers with sample looping in SchismTracker and Impulse Tracker?
5. How can I get IT to run faster using the Sound Blaster 16? It lags like crazy!!! But when I use GUS, it runs smoothly. I didn't know that a sound card could affect the speed of a program.
Sorry for so many questions, but that is what this thread is for.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 13:56:37 »

1. I'm thinking about asking my parents to buy me Renoise. Is it worth their money (and my time)?
Have you tried the demo? That should answer your questions. The only things you would probably miss from the full version are WAV export and ASIO.

2. I just downloaded AMUSIC, an adlib tracker. I ran it under DosBox. Can anyone give me some instructions on how to use it?
RTFM, I guess.

And where to get some AMUSIC Instruments? I can't load .wav files!
Do you know what Adlib is? Then you should know why you can't load WAV files. You need to design your own FM instruments, or I'm sure it comes with the standard set of FM instruments that every uses.

3. Has anyone gotten ProTracker to run under an Amiga Emulator?
Yes.

4. Can I use my mouse instead of random numbers with sample looping in SchismTracker and Impulse Tracker?
No.

5. How can I get IT to run faster using the Sound Blaster 16? It lags like crazy!!! But when I use GUS, it runs smoothly. I didn't know that a sound card could affect the speed of a program.
- GUS: Hardware mixing card. Its 32 hardware channels are mixed by DOSBox using its own native code, which is fast.
- SB16: Software mixing card, meaning that all the sample mixing has to be done in IT and thus is emulated by DOSBox (assuming that you are not using a real DOS machine), which is slow. The only things that helps is buying a faster computer, or decreasing the playback quality in Impulse Tracker. Seriously, though, the best way to speed it up is probably to use Schism Tracker.
» My TMA artist profile
» Open ModPlug Tracker

theorize

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 18:21:57 »

NJ; I think this is a good time for me to chime in with a tracker I've recently discovered (well rediscovered, I never gave it a chance when I originally found it), it's called BeRo Tracker Classic, and I've posted in this forum a couple times in the past 24 hours. I was using Milky before and wanted the features of the IT format but didn't like the trackers that support that format. This one is a breeze to use and has some of the things I suspect you are looking for in a tracker. And it's free so your parents won't have to shell out a dime. Renoise is great, but if you don't need to buy it then don't. I don't need to. And as Saga pointed out the demo might have all of what you need. Before you purchase anything try out BeRo. It supports many module formats and has high quality sound and in my opinion a very good interface even if it can't be run by keyboard fully.

Also if you wish to use protracker there IS a version for windows now (in the same way that there's a version of FT2 for win through Milky) and it is a 1:1 copy. I don't recommend it though since there are plenty of trackers that can use the .MOD format, it just doesn't make sense to me to go THAT far back in tracker time... but if you strongly feel the need to I can get you a link. I would say try BeRo though if you want to use the .IT format it's working out for me SO FAR ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up