Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to create phasing effect samples  (Read 8840 times)

null_terminated

• New User
    • View Profile
    • My Mod Archive Profile
How to create phasing effect samples
« on: April 14, 2013, 18:28:29 »

Hi, in my part to learn tracking I've taken to creating my samples from scratch too, using the MilkyTracker sample and Instrument editors.

I've come a long way and am able to create reasonable snares, kicks and loops.

One sound I still can't dissect is the phasing wave. I can only describe it as a fuzzy sine wave with it's period phasing longer and shorter, giving a full-bodied fuzzy humm effect.

Here is a simple sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0AO7_RBX6g

Has anybody made such a sound in the sample editor? Any tips appreciated.

Edit:

Trying to emulate what the waveform should look like in that video, by cutting and drawing the missing parts, it sounds like a pair of robot cats mating. Apparently consistency makes a good tone, and the latter certainly shows us I can't do the former.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18686471/mods/sine-phase.xm

I guess Audacity can be used for these things. If anyone has done this, I'd love to share your knowledge :D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 19:03:24 by null_terminated »

theorize

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: How to create phasing effect samples
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 05:50:33 »

I know I'm grave digging a bit here, but for making samples for Milky... Orangator is a GREAT tool!!!!!!!!!!!! Trying to recommend this synth to a FL Studio user is about impossible, but here... I might just get someone to listen. It truly is an amazing synth, I still use it, and have many others I could use. It's not the only synth I use, but for some sounds it's still my go-to. Used along side a good audio editor like Adobe Audition 3.0 (easily obtained), to just give that bit of "sheen" to the samples after they're made in Orangator, it's a formidable pair. It won't give super warm tones like some of todays analog emulations, but, it is extremely good at a lot of what I call "technical" types of sounds. For the sound the OP described (at first guess) I would go to the oscillator section and modulate the "shape" parameter.

I think it's a shame that a lot of yesterdays masterpieces are forgotten for today's mediocre works. I haven't seen a VST yet that is quite like Orangator. It's so FLEXABLE!!!!!! I have been thinking about doing a softsynth inspired by it using synthmaker. I'm using Linux now... so that might not be a possibility, but if it is then I would love to make a synth with the purpose of exporting samples for use in trackers... and I would feel like I'm giving back to a great community. I'll try to install it right now, I wish I would have saved the oscillator and envelopes I was working on before I installed Linux... but can't save everything ;p

espriteuphoetry

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 17:43:47 »

Just tried orangator and it works in linux under wine with no DAW can save samples

corvuscorax

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 22:58:10 »

Thanks for the suggestion, I have been working on that, maybe it makes it into a future Milkytracker version ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3UBzaLVFZc
Pages: [1]   Go Up