Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: PPPlay 0.1.3 released, testers needed  (Read 13037 times)

Sto

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Github
PPPlay 0.1.3 released, testers needed
« on: October 07, 2013, 06:07:12 »

I know it's a bad habit to open two threads for one topic, and I have thought about it some time, but it's the only way I see here to get some attention and feedback (sorry, mods!). After more than a year of work, and nearly a complete re-write of all the code, I finally managed to get version 0.1.3 of PPPlay ready. The (incomplete) list of changes since my last announcement are:
  • S3M and XM code re-write, much more compliant to the original players' behaviour.
  • Also plays MOD files now.
  • New input format: HSC, based on a completely new OPL emulator code with very high accuracy.
  • New application: IMFPlay, a player for IMF files, will be integrated into the main program in the next release.
  • Besides the old MP3 output format, additionally OGG and WAV are also available.
  • Selection of sample interpolation: none, linear and cubic.
  • Finally compilable on Windows.
  • Many, many bugs fixed.

You can grab the sources here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/peepeeplayer/files/releases/
Windows x64 binaries are available.

Also, I hope to get S3M Adlib sample handling ready for the next release. This release is meant to be a small feature-freeze, before I start something new that would introduce new bugs. So please test it if you can; a disadvantage is that the code currently only compiles with GCC 4.8, this is because I'm using many of the new C++11 features that aren't available in lower versions (don't use MSVC2012 either, it doesn't work).

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 17:37:54 by Sto »

LigH

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: PPPlay 0.1.3 released, testers needed
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 13:38:00 »

A cutie, nice retro style (DOS font in Windows GUI). Plays the few modules I tested without big surprises. Unfortunately, the announced "original players' behaviour" was not what I hoped for (ignores offset zero like all modern players).

Sto

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 16:14:08 »

Unfortunately, you probably used a very old version where I blatantly thought it were better than it actually was. There have been a lot of changes and fixes in the last 5 years. If you're adventurous, you may try to compile a more up-to-date version yourself: https://github.com/stohrendorf/ppplay

Let me see if I can build a more recent windows version, I used it on linux only for ages.

LigH

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 16:18:34 »

I have an MSYS2/MinGW setup (media-autobuild_suite), I will try if it passes GCC 7.3 (MinGW32) or 8.2 (MinGW64).

Sto

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 17:12:36 »

Hm... I must admit that the build system is quite bad, and that it requires a lot of manual effort to actually get ppplay to start, ignoring the fact that it doesn't produce any sound for me. I'm currently a bit scared of myself and the brainfarts I had when working on the build system :o

The best thing I can currently advise is that you grab a linux machine somewhere and do a local install; or you wait until I find time to fix it, which can take weeks, because it seems I'm still the only "real" user, and I'm only using it on linux.

LigH

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 19:46:11 »

Indeed, no easy success; a CMake configuration of "MSYS Makefiles" prepared necessary build files, but the compilation aborted soon, missing quite everything related to archive, compression, and hash functions.

No pressure. I can open issues in your github project when you are ready for it.

Sto

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 00:56:26 »

This is a highly experimental build. It may or may not work for you, but for me it works.

LigH

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 09:38:43 »

Works well. Only the mouse cursor looks suspicious... But I like the "evaporation" visualizer in the background.

Sto

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 09:40:05 »

Press "X" :]

The problem with the cursor is that the pixels of the visualisation overlay the cursor, but it's only a graphical glitch.

LigH

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 03:06:48 »

I found a track which does not play in your player. An extremely minimalistic one, using one sine wave as sample in several instruments with some polyphony.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up