Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why use pattern breaks in Fast/Impulse Tracker?  (Read 6341 times)

ncovert

Why use pattern breaks in Fast/Impulse Tracker?
« on: June 23, 2014, 20:17:43 »

I have noticed almost every XM or IT module, instead of just shortening a pattern down to the desired length (e.g. 16 or 32 rows), keeps it at 64 rows and just uses a pattern break. Why is this done? Compatibility issues? Lack of knowledge of adjustable pattern length?

zzo38

• View Profile
Re: Why use pattern breaks in Fast/Impulse Tracker?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 21:10:10 »

Maybe, the program they used to make it does not support changing the number of rows in a pattern?
AmigaMML???

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 00:57:06 »

You will find that even in many tunes made with programs that support it.
- Laziness,
- the possibility to quickly undo it (in programs where resizing cannot be undone),
- experimentation,
- importing a file previously made in a format that doesn't support variable pattern lengths such as MOD/S3M,
- simply being used to it or
- simply the lack of knowledge of such a function or simply being used to doing it this way
may be reasons for it.
Besides, I'd hardly say that I've seen this in "every" XM/IT module, not even a considerable amount. I've seen it in a few tunes but there are way more modules that actually make use of variable pattern size.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 00:59:45 by Saga Musix »
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 07:15:08 »

Possibly just tradition/habit too, if the author migrated from Protracker and has 'always done it that way'...

I still use S8x (ST3) pans in Impulse tracker sometimes even though there are at least three better ways to pan an instrument. (Pan command in the volume column, 8xx, panning envelope.) Sometimes it's just easy. :D

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 17:29:57 »

I also think some versions of FT2 used to crash easily when doing pattern-wide clipboard operations with patterns shorter than 64 rows. So, D00 was safer, even if backup.xm was saved.
Pages: [1]   Go Up