Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FT3????  (Read 7916 times)

theorize

• New User
    • View Profile
FT3????
« on: June 27, 2015, 05:30:40 »

Has there been any talk of Milky being the platform to make a FT3? I know others have tried and honestly MadTracker Came the closest, but I think MilkyTracker would be the ideal starting point for a REAL FT3... or do I have to learn to code? LOL. I wish I had the talent to code a tracker, because it would already be in the works. I've tried a LOT of trackers and Milky is by farthe most FUN to use. I recently made the switch to linux or I would be also using Bero as well, if I could have a Bero Tracker with MT's interface and sample editor(also by far the best I've used on a tracker, some DSP's and it would be AMAZING).

It's not like I want a lot... 64 tracks, NNA's, Just a couple of effects like Multimode resonant filters, Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger,Phaser... just the basics, hell I could do without most of the effects, the most useful would be more tracks and filters. And yes I know about renoise.... I have the demo and it's great, but just not really what I need.

There's nothing like the feeling you get when loading up a tracker in low res screen mode :)

I'm not really demanding someone start working on milky again... rather just trying to find out if there's anyone out there talking about continuing the legacy... another part of it is that it makes me a little sad knowing that such a great and influential piece of software is long dead, but people are still heavily using it, I'd hate to see FastTracker truly die. To me it's a stroke of luck that people have done the work to bring it up to speed, working on today's computers, but yet there's no forward progress... the program will just die again eventually. I guess the real reason I still don't make the switch to other, newer, more capable trackers is after the interface issues, it's the lack of a replay routine for 9/10ths of them. There's a part of me that wants to be involved in the demoscene and small video games, so I only stick to trackers that can be used in a demo.

And now I'm rambling, if you have read all of this thanks for taking the time to read my babble :)

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: FT3????
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 21:13:53 »

I'd hate to see FastTracker truly die
So you'd rather see someone completely unrelated to the original developers write a completely new unrelated tracker and slap the label "FastTracker" on it, just for the sake of it? Come on, that doesn't make a lot of sense. FastTracker 3 is dead, because the original developers are no longer around in the tracker biz and FT2 is by now way too old to continue where it left off. In the meantime there have been quite many innovations in the tracking scene, starting with things like Buzz and continuing with programs like Renoise (which some see as the real FT3 but that's another debate). Just let each tracke be the tracker that it is, and don't call it FT3.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

xerion567

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 19:24:04 »

I think I read somewhere that before SkaleTracker got it's name, it was going to try on the mantle of "FastTracker 3". heheh!

Personally, it is still my favorite tracker and I continue to use it to this day despite it being a dead project now. Definitely not something you'd want to use for a demo or game though, it can end up using quite the system resources!

theorize

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 20:52:29 »

Saga, you know better than that, if it weren't for someone picking up where someone else left off, we wouldn't even have Renoise, or how about psycle? There have been many projects where someone has given up and someone else carried the torch and did something really awesome with it. And I have Renoise, and what comes out is still an XM, so yes, it would be really nice if someone else continued on something that actually works. I've tried a lot of the newer trackers, and I mean a lot. None of them have the same feel. SunVox is personally the best that has a replay routine. Bero's tracker is another very nice one, and it has basically done that for the IT format, I'm actually going to give it a shot under wine, I recently made the switch to Linux.

Skale is def a very cool tracker, I haven't spent enough time with it though, only thing I don't like is the way the effects are input, but maybe I'm missing a concept there that makes it more streamlined. I want to get it working on ubuntu, still learning linux tho.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 21:28:39 »

Saga, you know better than that, if it weren't for someone picking up where someone else left off, we wouldn't even have Renoise, or how about psycle?
That's not the point. Renoise doesn't claim to be NoiseTrecker 2, Psycle doesn't claim to be Buzz 2 (in fact, there are so many Buzz clones out there, we could be at Buzz 10 by now!). I'm just saying, FastTracker is dead and couldn't be any more dead. Anyone is of course welcome to adopt its look&feel or whatever, but please stop beating a dead horse and don't call it "FastTracker 3". Unless you're Triton, of course.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

xerion567

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 23:05:55 »

Skale is def a very cool tracker, I haven't spent enough time with it though, only thing I don't like is the way the effects are input, but maybe I'm missing a concept there that makes it more streamlined.
Oh yeah the FX interface in Skale is fairly bad lol! Mostly because it is restricted to 8 FX in a module, and the FX outputs can't be turned off so a passive chaining FX is not possible. And then because it was such an early implementation of VST technology, only certain plugins will work. Despite these and many more shortcomings, I find it too hard to use other trackers. :(

I want to get it working on ubuntu, still learning linux tho.
I can help you with this if you need. I also run Ubuntu and I've gotten Skale to run brilliantly using Wine. Turns out it will work with a really handy driver called WineASIO, but you must compile the driver to use 32-bit integers. (Again, I can walk you through this if you're interested.) Once you get it working, you can directly route the sound from Skale into the JACK audio system at very low latency. :)

espriteuphoetry

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 19:19:08 »

I use milkytracker and I got Psycle v.8.6? not sure have to check, but got it working in Ubuntu Studio 16.04, which is what I run.  It's a great alternative for me to use vsts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up