Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 implementations for me…just 2  (Read 6236 times)

fuzion_mixer

2 implementations for me…just 2
« on: December 12, 2015, 07:22:29 »

I can't say that Milkytracker is a bad program; it's good. But I can't seem to advance into more difficult stuff.

Ok, first off, IT modules. I can't find ANY program as close to the feel of MT (Milkytracker), and even if I do find one, it just….isn't IT compatible. I've searched for any kind of tracker (ChibiTracker, Schism Tracker, OpenMPT and such) off of Google (I've grind about a good 2 hours on it). Only some are IT compatible, but only one of them is Mac OS compatible (I'm using Mac, so yea), that one being Schism Tracker (as far as my knowledge goes).

Schism Tracker…feels clunky. I can't work properly with it if some of my frequently-used keys (while tracking) are used for shortcuts. It's just….not for me. I really want to make IT-format songs, but there's nothing in store for me. Nothing.

The other implementation I hope for is 64-channel support. Again, I can't progress through the level if I am blocked by a gigantic platinum-plated Grade-5 door on the way. I can't expand my creativity with restrictions. I've only started tracking about a year ago (keep in mind that some of us are fast-learners if they take the time to understand it and if they really like it). I could be one of them. Within just about another year or so, I might be able to fully use the 32-channel XM-format limit that MT supports (add to that the potentially-long song length). If I hit that boundary, there's not much else to learn about MT. I could be bored of it and just….quit tracking. Tracking is fun and all, but if restrictions arise, you feel limited, and I don't like that. Unlimited and boundless is how I roll.

So, do you think that it's a worthy piece of hard work to fulfill what I, or we (all of us trackers) need? Leave a reply, please.

Other than that, there's not much problem with MT. I sincerely hope that MT has more attention in the future, and that people will recognize it for what it is. Thank you for reading this message. I appreciate it!

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: 2 implementations for me…just 2
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 09:10:44 »

I can't speak for the Milky developers (of which there are almost none these days) but Milky's scope is clearly to be a 100% compatible Fasttracker 2 clone, and as such it cannot offer support for 64 channels without violating the format specifications. As such, making it an IT-compatible tracker would require a major rewrite of the UI as well.
I fear you'll have to get used to other programs if you want to create IT files. Or rewrite Milky from scratch. ;)
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

fuzion_mixer

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 17:26:40 »

Maybe they'll acknowledge either, or both. This is, after all, a 'feature request' page. Yea, troubles and all that may arise, but if you don't start now, you never will; procrastination. So, yea  :)

fuzion_mixer

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 17:29:03 »

Furthermore, I've seen some XM modules using 64-channels, let alone more than 32. Not arguing or anything, though. I just feel…that I am misunderstood. Maybe I'm too young for all this forum talk, hahah!  ;D

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 22:23:42 »

Yes there are some XM files out there which use more than 32 channels, but such files will crash Fasttracker 2. MilkyTracker is more strict when it comes to adhering the Fasttracker 2 specifications and as such it's unlikely that anyone would ever add something to it that's not compatible to FT2 - as this would simply violate Milky's goals.
Don't get your hopes too high either way, Milky is pretty much dormant at the moment apart from the usual bugfixes.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 09:52:57 »

There's been increased activity on the project lately but I would say these requests fall out of its scope. I wouldn't mind using IT features in a (Milky's) PPUI tracker myself but I would rather see it as a fork into a separate project, and Milky reach 1.0.
Pages: [1]   Go Up