Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very first module. Please give feedback. Thanks  (Read 4741 times)

sterne

• New User
    • View Profile
Very first module. Please give feedback. Thanks
« on: December 14, 2015, 13:53:43 »

So, the first thing you'll notice is that I'm a complete noob at writing .xm files.

The second thing you'll notice is that the samples are ripped out of various modules from 1997- most noticeably the lead being from Celestial Fantasia.

The third thing you'll notice is that my composition style is a little bit too inspired by Alexander Brandon.

Mainly the feedback I want is along these lines:

-What is wrong or inefficient about how I made the module
-What is wrong with the music
-What is acceptable

The file attacher is being stupid, so I'll just link you to a DL.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5myfamtcs52aj78/sterne_firstattempt.xm?dl=0

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Very first module. Please give feedback. Thanks
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 21:55:13 »

Well, it's certainly not bad a for firsty, although it's of course way too short.
The only real problem I see is the lack of panning; try spreading the chords over the entire panning spectrum (i.e. put every of the four channels in a different stereo position) and put the echo channels (11 and 12) on the opposite sides of the stereo spectrum to create a wide panorama. To avoid spamming the same commands over every single row (like you do with the volume commands), you can omit the instrument numbers next to all notes but the first, like this:
Code: [Select]
A#5 06 18 880
F-5 .. .. ...
This helps making the center less busy and less instruments fighting for the same space, thus making the mix less muddy and more pleasant to listen to.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

sterne

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 16:20:02 »

My first tracker I started using was Famitracker, so I'm used to having stuff like that be automated. MilkyTracker is a bit of a doozy, but I'm starting to catch on.

bmo

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 00:19:05 »

not bad at all for a first go. doesn't feel fleshed out but you definitely have some good going there. build on it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up