Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About CocoModX  (Read 7737 times)

Bryd0

About CocoModX
« on: March 28, 2016, 10:54:47 »

In about a year or so, I have thoughts on switching to Mac and recently, I discovered that there exists CocoModX, the Mac counterpart of XMPlay that I have and have adored since I first got it on this computer years ago, where it was even miles better than DeliPlayer that I used to have on my older one. The only thing is, I don't know much about CocoModX and I'm not sure if it'd be as good as XMPlay such as the features it may have (I like to see MOD patterns when I play stuff every now and again) or is it more minimal. I saw screenshots of it and so far, I gather that it looks pretty similar to iTunes. If anyone can tell me more about it, that would be great, and that I may feel more confident on using it in the future.

A Mac version of XMPlay would've been lovely though, unless there's another one that's as awesome as it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 18:21:28 by Bryd0 »

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
Re: About CocoModX
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 09:07:00 »

It seems the CocoModX site is gone and all the references are old, like 5+ years, and in OS X land that is ancient, unsupported history. "It just works", until the OS update and then it doesn't anymore. Prepare for this if you use anything other than mainstream software. I mean, those break too but at least the developers are still around to fix things.

I never used CocoModX during my couple years of Mac use (OS X 10.5 through 10.8) so it might have been dated even back then. Another player supporting a lot of tracker and vgm formats is Richard Bannister's Audio Overload but seeing the latest (news) update on that is dated July 12th 2012 doesn't bode well.

There is Vox, based on the BASS library (same innards as XMPlay) that seemed very promising. No pattern display but pretty much all the settings from XMPlay's MOD tab were there and it sounded great. Then Alessio, the developer, didn't have any more time to work on it (might have moved away from the Apple realm altogether IIRC) and sold Vox to Coppertino who tucked the module player capabilities away from sight. However, the last time I tried the player it was still able to play modules. Worth a shot, I'd say.

Bryd0

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 19:33:34 »

Oh... I didn't know CocoModX is gone. Thanks for telling me that... even with other stuff that would work out too despite of what's been done to Vox now. I will keep that in mind though although, when was the last time you used it to say that it can play modules?

If you or anyone else know of good Mac alternatives that are as awesome as XMPlay, do let me know. The last thing I want to happen is for me to export all my favourite modules, get Vox and then find that it can't play them.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 23:15:48 »

Maybe this is worth a shot? https://sasq64.github.io/chipmachine/
It uses libopenmpt so it's also pretty accurate and supports more formats than BASS.
There's also openmpt123, but a command-line player is probably not what you're looking for. :)
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 08:52:07 »

when was the last time you used it to say that it can play modules?
Like 2014.

Meanwhile I found this: http://support.coppertino.com/kb/vox-for-mac/which-file-formats-can-be-played-in-vox
Although it says "the full list of supported audio formats", I doubt they purposefully stripped out support for the likes of MOD and S3M while keeping XM and IT.

Bryd0

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 09:13:10 »

Maybe this is worth a shot? https://sasq64.github.io/chipmachine/
It uses libopenmpt so it's also pretty accurate and supports more formats than BASS.
There's also openmpt123, but a command-line player is probably not what you're looking for. :)
I could look at that, but I see it's a beta version. That shouldn't be a problem, should it? And yeah, a command-line player would be no good to me :P

...but I don't quite get Raina's post though. Are you saying that it could still support MOD and S3M despite not being on the list of supported types? I would be angry if AHX or HVL are not supported because I've recently took an interest in these ones and even so, can always go for Chipmachine.

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 11:29:29 »

...but I don't quite get Raina's post though. Are you saying that it could still support MOD and S3M despite not being on the list of supported types? I would be angry if AHX or HVL are not supported because I've recently took an interest in these ones and even so, can always go for Chipmachine.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. It's likely that it still supports all the formats XMPlay does without plugins. But that rules out AHX/HVL, XMPlay uses the xmp-ahx plugin to play those.
Pages: [1]   Go Up