Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for ANY of my old tracks...  (Read 4381 times)

Rave669

• New User
  • I'm gettin' too old...
    • View Profile
Looking for ANY of my old tracks...
« on: February 16, 2017, 20:48:13 »

Hi Everybody, Rave669 here.

Most of you likely don't know me, but I've been tracking for a long time, since about 1990 or so. I just joined ModArchive and have begun to submit some songs.

Anyways, I was wondering if anybody here might help. Here's a little background on myself.

around 1989, myself and a (dearly departed) friend of mine, Jon (aka MadMage) started coding demos under the banner of RYLO software; a lot of which were distributed through Midwestern dial-up BBSs back in the day. Graphics and sound fell into my lap.

Most of my tracks were done in Composer 669, but I've also worked with ScreamTracker3, Impulse Tracker and a few others.

now, I believe I still possess some of my old tracks on a disused Compaq laptop which I haven't booted up in a long time. I am going to see if I can recover some of them, those were some of my later projects. However, I may not be able to recover them, which is sad. I also have crates of archived files on CD and DVD, with any luck I have some backups. Other formats, such as floppies and Zipdisk (remember those?) are either unreadable or have gone missing.

MadMage passed away almost 15 years ago now; If he had any of them archived, they are lost; I've tried going to his family and friends, but haven't had any luck.

On the off chance anybody has any of my old song files, I would love to get them back again, if nothing else, I could archive them on Mod Archive for posterity.

I used to be pretty good about putting comments in my projects, even changing sample names where the format didn't support commenting. My handle was the same back then as it is now, Rave669. If I can find a list of old song titles to post up as well, I will do so.

Thanks in advance everyone :)
-Rave669
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 20:50:03 by Rave669 »
Been doin' this for decades... Great to be back!

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Looking for ANY of my old tracks...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 00:38:57 »

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Unfortunately I couldn't find any of your tracks also on other mod sites, but if any of the demos you made are still available and contain your tracks (even if they are not in the demo archive as module files), at least those could probably be rescued.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Rave669

• New User
  • I'm gettin' too old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 03:19:25 »

I've been having just as much trouble finding our old demos; The thought also crossed my mind.

Didn't help that I moved to another state about 8 years back either.
Come to think of it , I did have some floppies at my mom's place; Maybe some of those are still readable.

I'll be sure to post an update If I find any of my older works. I'd ask anybody else out there to do the same, just on the off chance anyone has one or two of my old tracks somewhere.

Rave669

• New User
  • I'm gettin' too old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 19:05:31 »

:D Awesome News!!!

I was able to boot the old laptop up, and with a lot of dicking around, and trying three times to burn a Driver CD that the thing could read...

I was able to get the thing to recognize a thumb drive, and move a lot of my old stuff.

I was able to find a few of my older tracks in 669 and S3M formats. some of the tracks are old, unfinished WIP stuff, so I may revisit those.

Needless to say a couple tracks are NSFW, so they may not make it in here, a couple used unlicensed samples too (C'mon, we're talking about songs I tracked in 1993-1996 for goodness sake, before people forgot what fair use was) but I found a couple that are decent and don't violate any rules, so I'm going to start submitting them.

Also recovered was one of my old sample libraries, and the whole working directory from my old Impulse Tracker install.

Still have more things to check; I also remembered I have an old 486 PC at my Mom's place that might boot up, and reveal a few more... the trick is transferring the files (floppy drives don't always age well)

Slowly but surely... I'm beginning to have a little luck. My tracking skills have definitely improved over the years :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up