Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has Anyone Else Noticed that MilkyTracker sounds flat?  (Read 7872 times)

Dmac9244

• New User
    • View Profile
Has Anyone Else Noticed that MilkyTracker sounds flat?
« on: August 07, 2017, 21:02:09 »

I was just playing around in MilkyTracker, and I noticed when I turned up the sound on my MIDI keyboard that the notes MilkyTracker was playing were more than an entire whole step flat. To compensate, I had to change the relative note from C4 to C#4, and move the fine tune slider up to ~+80 (cents, I assume?).

Is MilkyTracker supposed to be this flat, or is it something I'm doing that's causing that?

Dmac9244

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Has Anyone Else Noticed that MilkyTracker sounds flat?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 21:16:22 »

Ok, now everything is sharp, and MilkyTracker crashes whenever I press a note on my keyboard... This might still be a problem with MilkyTracker, (or my computer, or my keyboard, or my MIDI to USB interface...) but at least I know that it's not supposed to happen.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 00:09:47 »

MilkyTracker's instrument transposition and finetune have nothing to do with scientific tuning, they just change the playback speed of your sample. It entirely depends on the sample content what your instrument sound like. Just as an example, imagine that you are recording someone playing a single tone on a flute, and the recording frequency is 44.1kHz. This recording frequency has in fact nothing to do with how they play the flute - they might play it a bit sharp or flat, but no matter what the recording frequency is still 44.1kHz, and if you imported this sample into MilkyTracker, it would be imported as Finetune -28 (these are not cents but 128th of a semitone) / relative note F-5.
If you create chip samples in MilkyTracker, you will have almost perfect A440 tuning with a loop length of 64 or multiples of that and a finetune/transposition of 0.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Dmac9244

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 21:12:37 »

Thanks, but what you just said should prove that there was a problem with either my computer, my keyboard, or MilkyTracker. I did not have perfect A440 tuning with the generated samples. Everything was about 1.25 whole tones flat. I corrected it by moving everything 1.25 semitones sharp, but when I just went back in, everything was 1.25 semitones sharp. I just untransposed and un-fine tuned everything, and it's OK now.

There was some problem with my computer. I don't know what it is/was, but I can't really reproduce it, and I don't know why it's happening.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 00:43:40 »

Hm, there is one explanation I can think of that matches the ~1.25 semitones: MilkyTracker was rendering at 44.1kHz but the audio interface was set to 48kHz, or vice versa. This may happen under certain circumstances with some audio drivers if two applications are trying to access the audio interface at the same time, but with different mix rates. For example, you might have had your browser open and it was previously used to play a video with 48kHz audio, and then you wanted to play something in Milkytracker which was configured to render at 44.1kHz.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

luke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 00:02:02 »

I think when you generate a waveform in milkytracker, 'number of samples' length must be 32, 64 or 128 to get the perfect A440 tuning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up