Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copyrights on samples  (Read 13024 times)

LonesomeBullfighter

• New User
    • View Profile
Copyrights on samples
« on: November 20, 2006, 20:23:00 »

I'm a bit new here so I don't know if this belongs in this section of the forum. I was wondering if I could use the samples provided by this website for commercial purposes(that is if and when I get good at step-sequencing). Just don't want to get into any legal issues with any of my compositions.

Back a few years ago I uploaded some songs to mp3.com that were made using some drum and synth wave sounds that I downloaded from a site that may be defunct now and they may have been illegal samples. I need to know what is legal concerning drum, synth, and pad samples found on the internet.

noobme

• New User
    • View Profile
Copyrights on samples
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 20:03:41 »

wow ... just like the whole "Amen break" phenomena (if you dont know what I'm talking about take a few min to educate yourself and check this out:

http://nkhstudio.com/pages/amen_mp4.html  

now on to sampling and samples... I have been a part of this scene for a long time now yikes almost 18yrs (anybody remember the original United Trackers when it was the United Trackers Federation? if you do you've been around the scence a while and if you were a member Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P )

Everytime I upload a track I know people like you "LonesomeBullfighter" are going to come along and use some of my samples thats why they are there ... kinda not all of them tho.. what Im trying to say is It's always been an unspoken rule man...

I hear samples that I've made and shared in many pieces and I'm ok with that... what I dont like is people outright plagerizing a track or even remixing one of my tracks without asking me.  

DON'T RIP TRACKS. RIP SAMPLES. NO VOCALS OR MELODIES and just a courtesey you should at the lest make every effort to contact the artist and ask them.  

If you intend to remix, ask the artist for permission before you take a track because I think weve had this discussion many times on zillions of different sites... No one likes Rippers Not only is it Wrong its RUDE!  

There are those of us that believe that there is still a "Tracker Collective" and that we are all here to share, help eachother grow and prosper musically... and its people like the kids that banded together and kept modplug going that we look to to keep that spirit alive...    until they get old and jaded like us "OG's" lol and pass the torch on to a younger generation of trackers...

Obviously if you have downloaded samples off one of those P2P programs like Kazza or Limewire yer on your own I don't even want to begin explaining the legalities in that...  

-HS

[edited by admin] to make easier reading - big post - break it up, this post has good info , adding paragraphs makes it easier for our non native english readers to read

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
Re: Copyrights on samples
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 23:13:35 »

Quote from: "LonesomeBullfighter"
I'm a bit new here so I don't know if this belongs in this section of the forum. I was wondering if I could use the samples provided by this website for commercial purposes(that is if and when I get good at step-sequencing). Just don't want to get into any legal issues with any of my compositions.

Back a few years ago I uploaded some songs to mp3.com that were made using some drum and synth wave sounds that I downloaded from a site that may be defunct now and they may have been illegal samples. I need to know what is legal concerning drum, synth, and pad samples found on the internet.

Can you clarify whether you mean samples from the modules, or samples from the sample archive which is part of modarchive, Waveworld.
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

LonesomeBullfighter

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 09:37:34 »

Quote from: "m0d"

Can you clarify whether you mean samples from the modules, or samples from the sample archive which is part of modarchive, Waveworld.

I was actually talking about instrument sound samples downloaded from the modarchive site and another site that probably disappeared a couple years ago. They are just sounds taken from instruments and I was curious of the legalities of using recorded instrument sounds.

Wanderer

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 03:28:29 »

Quote from: "m0d"

I was actually talking about instrument sound samples downloaded from the modarchive site and another site that probably disappeared a couple years ago. They are just sounds taken from instruments and I was curious of the legalities of using recorded instrument sounds.

I know this post is a couple months old now but what the heck!  

Yeah.....you'd have to check the comments field, if it is an .it(.it means an Impulse Tracker file which allows you to save comments along with the module) file especially,  then see who, if any, provided the samples, then give them proper dues!

Always check everything out the best you can.......first.........then.....check here at this forum, and if all else fails............DO NOT USE THE SAMPLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got it?

Good!

Here are some sites to some very free software that you can have for virtually nothing that will help you imensely in making your.............own...............sound samples!!!!!   8-)    :D

http://www.sonicspot.com/sampled/sampled.html

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

The first one.........Sampled is what I use to create my own sound samples!!!!

[EDIT] I would attach a sample I just made on Sampled but this forum doesn't allow attachments............Sorry!   It sounds like a cool sample too!!!111   :shock:

[EDIT2]Oh and we are not supposed to ask for sample hosting which I can greatly understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   In other words don't look for people to post their samples here.   They may post them to some other provider but not directly here!.

Enjoy!

Welcome and

Cheers
rackers Rock, Roll, and Rule! ;)

LonesomeBullfighter

• New User
    • View Profile
Copyrights on samples
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 05:52:41 »

Well, I might not need that many samples anyways, since I have generators that I can use to make them. I also have tu2, the final version of tuareg. It's pretty cool and I'm currently experimenting with 7/8 beat compositions(inspired by Devo's "Jocko Homo" ). It's all good :D

Wanderer

• New User
    • View Profile
Copyrights on samples
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 03:38:38 »

Well, I might not need that many samples anyways, since I have generators that I can use to make them. I also have tu2, the final version of tuareg. It's pretty cool and I'm currently experimenting with 7/8 beat compositions(inspired by Devo's "Jocko Homo" ). It's all good :D

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!  I love "Devo" the little dudes that wear flower pots on their heads!!!!!  ;-)   If you have "generators" then you are all set to go!  ;-)

Sorry I couldn't help though!

Cheers
rackers Rock, Roll, and Rule! ;)

mrvegas

• New User
    • View Profile
Copyrights on samples
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 15:27:26 »

Since this wasn't clarified:

Are the samples in Waveworld public domain?

Can I use them for anything?

Thanks very much -- it's a great collection and this site is fantastic.

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
Copyrights on samples
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 15:40:29 »

They are licensed from this site to be used in whatever you like :) Essentially public domain.
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

Ceekayed

• TMA Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
    • Ceekayed on Soundcloud
Copyrights on samples
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 09:49:41 »

Quote from: "noobme"
(anybody remember the original United Trackers when it was the United Trackers Federation? if you do you've been around the scence a while and if you were a member Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P )

Uhh, sorry for the OT, but:

Ooooh, hi! :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up