Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lua/Python script plugin support  (Read 5559 times)

nitrofurano

• New User
    • View Profile
Lua/Python script plugin support
« on: January 15, 2019, 19:14:09 »

would be great if MilkyTracker could have Lua or/and Python script plugin support

that would help us to create scripts that, for example, would import/export to formats like .mid , .aria , .vgm , .txt (VortexTracker and FamiTracker), etc.

what do you all think about?

leondustar

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Lua/Python script plugin support
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 07:30:23 »

I think you can already do this no?
I mean XM is a standard with many parsers/readers on github, so you could technically start a python or lua script which than translates it to the format's you're talking about.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 18:58:02 »

Of course you can write scripts outside of MilkyTracker, but scripting support usually implies that the scripts can be triggered and managed from within the application, accessing all its internals, like in Renoise or Reaper.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

leondustar

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 16:45:55 »

please go on...what are you really saying to the original author here (your thoughts)?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 16:49:47 by leondustar »

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 18:34:58 »

I was just saying that your reply doesn't address the feature request, it just works around it. I fully support the addition of proper, well-thought-out scripting APIs in any tracker, there's not much to add to the original request (except that it's a lot of work which is why Renoise is pretty much the only tracker(-like) that has this feature at the moment, I have been working on it on an off for years in OpenMPT and someone else also is working on basic scripting support for SchismTracker. It's certainly in the realms of possibility, but not a feature you can simply "wish for" - it needs a very dedicated person to actually want to implement it.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

leondustar

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 11:04:26 »

Well, perhaps nitrofurano's silence on this topic, and your off-and-on focus (in openMPT) might indicate that it's a feature which certainly adds possibilities, but does not solve urgent actual problems end-users are having.
I think we're pretty much on the same page: a scripting-engine requires a lot of sparetime effort/maintenance for a subniche of endusers.
I had some off-and-on lua experiments with milkytracker too.
Implementing a midi-importer is one thing, implementing a script-engine which allows endusers to write importer-code is something exponentially bigger.

Having that said, I do like the idea.
If you ever feel like writing down a universal module scripting-api standard let me know.
I can imagine running the same pattern-scripts (`writeNote(..) getCurrentRow(..)` e.g.) or sample-scripts (setSampleValue(instr,sample,v) e.g.) in different trackers (by just implementing the same functions).

« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 11:10:50 by leondustar »

theorize

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 00:19:31 »

I think what it has going on is cool.. it's like when a DAW triggers an audio editor but it can be anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up