Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Quality of comments  (Read 8699 times)

eltopo

• New User
    • View Profile
Quality of comments
« on: January 30, 2019, 22:57:39 »

To paraphrase the movie "Platoon", opinions are like *ssholes, everybody got one. People that submit modules to the archive have a responsibility to post quality work and so has the people commenting on those modules. Take a look at the comments for this module for instance: https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=184287

If you can't offer any constructive criticism other than calling it "earrape" perhaps you shouldn't say anything at all? Deep Core Mining have 800 (and counting) modules in the archive, they can't all be masterpieces.

wvl

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Quality of comments
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 03:01:25 »

I think the commenters have a bit more to say than just "it's earrape". There's something to be said about the fact that this module is just an unoptimized mess of pre-made samples.

I'm highly convinced that deep core mining lets a bot create their music. Their music often is very formulaic with lots of channels being completely unused, same goes for a lot of samples being used in the patterns but being seemingly empty, as if a computer decided "okay let's flip a coin whether this sample slot should have a sample or not". Same goes for the names of their music, it always follows a certain pattern. I can't imagine a human being can manually create 800+ of these works without going completely insane. I don't think they really take the responsibility you mentioned in the first place, as their only purpose on TMA is dumping these (probably) computer generated modules and nothing else.

I really wouldn't be worried about this person not getting constructive criticism, since they're rather inactive on TMA beyond uploading modules, and they don't seem to give a f**k if their modules get caught in the duplicate filter every now and then, or whenever their modules get rejected for being completely unoptimized. I don't think they would pay much attention to comments either, guessing from that. There's way better examples of poor comments on TMA modules than this.

Axxy

• Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 11:19:07 »

I'm going to agree with what WouterVL says.  The artist in question has flipped their nickname many times over the years.

I have renamed everything I have of theirs as Suntripper because I was getting a little tired of how often their nicknamed had been changed.  I think I even emailed the admin here because it seemed so weird.

Also, as a collector of tracked music, I've stopped downloading their tracks.  Think I stopped at 400.  I find that most of the songs sound the same, almost like a dupe or a wip of the same module.  Most of them seem to just be the beat and very little melody, but hey, I still have 400 of them. ;D

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 22:20:07 »

No matter how much you dislike a track - keep it polite.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

eltopo

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 11:18:49 »

WouterVL: Yes it could be a bot or some simple manual method to produce tracks galore. But the person behind the bot still deserves respect, especially since the results are fully listenable.

Axxy: Ok, I only have 6 so far in my collection but sometimes I'm in the mood for some Deep Core Mining and I check to see what they have come up with since last I looked :)

Yomaru_Kasuga

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 14:02:09 »

Hmm... The question is...
Who is deep core mining (formerly known as Sunraysia)? And what is deep core mining's nationality?

Axxy

• Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 18:23:13 »

Axxy: Ok, I only have 6 so far in my collection but sometimes I'm in the mood for some Deep Core Mining and I check to see what they have come up with since last I looked :)

Don't get me wrong, there's some great tunes in amongst them, just wished there was more variety or variation.

Nikku4211

• Rising Star
  • Also known as Nikku4212
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 21:17:18 »

Yes it could be a bot or some simple manual method to produce tracks galore. But the person behind the bot still deserves respect, especially since the results are fully listenable.

Sure, the bot took a lot of effort to make, but not the songs themselves. This is a site about actual tracking skill on the direct part of the author, not about how many songs you can generate from your bot. Even if they are all listenable, they're still not as good as modules that are made manually.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to side with WouterVL on this.

TL;DR: Quality over quantity.

eltopo

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 01:39:07 »

Well, the main reason I started this thread was not to debate the quality of Deep Core Mining's modules (even if I went on a tangent). It was to highlight what people write in comments in order to prevent the community gaining a toxic atmosphere.

Saga Musix sums it up best I think.

Nikku4211

• Rising Star
  • Also known as Nikku4212
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 02:45:49 »

Okay, well I'm pretty sure there isn't much anybody can do about these not-the-nicest comments. What do you want them to do about it?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up