Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quality of comments  (Read 8693 times)

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Quality of comments
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 21:17:12 »

Well, quite frankly I see this community slowly progressing into a direction where it badly requires a Code of Conduct even if (or because) some people are not going to like it. You cannot prevent people from writing bad stuff but at least you can draw consequences.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

eltopo

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 09:26:09 »

Perhaps I shouldn't play the game if I can't take the heat, but I find having received two pretty negative comments recently kind of ruins the fun of tracking. Sure, my modules might suck and/or I might have a different idea of what music could be etc. but I would still like the ability to disable module comments/ratings. That's how I feel at the moment.

Edit: Ok that might be easier said than done. Since the removal policy states that modules will not be removed just because their author feel bad about them, I will instead think at least twice before uploading modules in the future, saving myself the embarrassment and the listeners' ears.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:25:52 by eltopo »

Nikku4211

• Rising Star
  • Also known as Nikku4212
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 00:38:15 »

I think we're going to have to clarify the differences between actual valid negative criticism and rude comments first.

Not saying any names here, but in general, I've seen a lot of people try to equate the two and fail to acknowledge the differences, and to be honest, it's an easy beginner's trap to fall into.

Ceekayed

• TMA Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
    • Ceekayed on Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 07:42:18 »

As a thumb rule to commenters, the lower the rating, the more elaborate your comment should be.

I think it's a polite and a logical way to approach it, as it's quite obvious that if you're giving a track 9-10 score, there's really not much to comment apart from how awesome it is; it's fine to drop a vague one-liner on a track you find that good. Problems arise with lower scores as especially newer trackers would probably find it incredibly helpful to know why they're getting rated low by the commenter.

I've gotten trolled by one-line 1 rating comments too (I think Beyond was drunk) and I can say that if that happened when I wasn't confident in my music and was still looking for feedback/validation, it would've felt really bad to not get any explanation for the low rating.

And obviously no matter how bad a track is, rudeness and/or insults are still not justified.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:11:15 by Ceekayed »

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 22:32:51 »

Very well put and good rule of thumb.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up