Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Longest module ever?  (Read 7974 times)

Slender

• New User
    • View Profile
Longest module ever?
« on: March 08, 2019, 00:51:26 »

Ever since I discovered modules such as Wong Chung Bang's "The False Prophet", 41:16 and Azo's "One Scotch Long", 32:02, I've been wondering about this. Is there a record for longest module ever around somewhere? Note that this wouldn't include modules that do things like claim to be 52 minutes but in reality are actually only three or four, with the rest of the module being silent.

Axxy

• Rising Star
    • View Profile
Re: Longest module ever?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 15:20:11 »

Aureate

Introspection.xm  -  60:00 (& a 2nd version only 47mins long)
Somnus.xm         -   60:00

Those are the only 2 that are 60mins long..

The few others I checked that were the same length are in fact false. It seems a lot of modules had delays/loops on the last pattern making 1:36 mods nearly an hour..  :D

Slender

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 00:09:19 »

Hmm, I'm quite a fan of Introspection :D only about 18 minutes through it but I find it quite interesting.

wvl

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 21:35:39 »

https://modarchive.org/module.php?183866 ;)

This is an interesting topic, i wouldn't have imagined there were modules much longer than this one. I'll definitely be following it. Any links to the modules mentioned in the OP?

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 22:23:32 »

Not the longest ever but always worth a mention when it comes to long and at the same time also high-quality modules: Beyond The Network by Skaven, main tune is about 31min long.

I have a 46min coop module by a couple of tracker artists from the early 2000s but it was never released officially, so I cannot link it here right now. I will have to bug them again to finally upload it (or give me the permission to do so). ;)
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Nikku4211

• Rising Star
  • Also known as Nikku4212
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 22:53:17 »

Oh no, someone can easily make the longest module ever by exploiting tempo, pattern length, order limitations and ticks per row to squeeze the longest time possible even if the song in question is really terrible and sounds like no effort was put into it.

Slender

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 01:24:30 »

Yep, this is definitely a possibility, a long song needs to keep your attention in some way and not bore you too much. Though I realize this kind of question could branch out in to several areas, such as largest module, module with the most subsongs, etc.

Axxy

• Rising Star
    • View Profile

ASIKWUSpulse

• Trying not to explore too much in composing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 21:54:58 »

A tip on composing long modules that will keep you listening is to try catching inspirations different from each other. That process is mainly done through the daily basis of creating music:
  • Wait for a moment when you feel inspired, then catch that inspiration.
  • In the end, you merge everything together into sections (maybe you'll also find inspiration to make a cool fade between the sections).

Hopefully it may work if the inspirations between the sections is composed in a way that you have "balance of something new and something old" - keeping on exploring a hole, that has no symmetry but CAN have similarities that reminds of symmetry. - I. "Ice" Wüst 2019 :P

Also, WouterVL, let me know when you're making an hour-module :)
Samples can be anything recorded: Instruments, furniture and even junk! ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up